Tail pipe trim removal mk3

Looks great :+1: what did you use to cut the exhaust? Looks like a good square cut.

I was going to use a 4" grinder with a cutting wheel but ended up just putting a jubilee clip on as a guide and cutting with a regular hacksaw and new blade. Took about 10 mins a side.

The jubilee clips is a good idea. :wink: Cutting it off where did was there plenty of the original pipe left to get the BBR tips so sit where you wanted them? I must admit when I saw them side by side on your earlier pictures they look massive in comparison to the originals! :rofl: Any chance of a picture from above to show how far they stick out?

Bear with I’ll pop to the garage :+1:

So you can see it protrudes a good way into the new tip.

And is about in line with the top of the diffuser cutout ‘arch’.

With a fair bit of scope to push them in further, which I may do.

:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Dean that’s really helpful, much appreciated, and it looks spot on! Just need to get on and do mine know :+1:

Glad to be of help. I imagine simply cutting them back is a lot easier than trying to remove the originals, did consider that for a minute but I thought if all that pipe will be inside the new tip then what’s the point…

1 Like

I wouldn’t push them in further if you’re still wanting to fit the diffuser trim piece :+1:

I don’t think I’m gonna get hold of one of those. Standard looks fine but I’d of liked it.

Is there any impact on the exhaust note??

Won’t know till the new back box gasket turns up. Fitted without one until then so no point assessing the sound :+1:

Great job - looks fantastic. What paint did you use on the side of the box and pipes?

Thank you :+1:. Just any silver paint that can withstand high temps. VHT is good. I’ve also used zinc galvanising spray in the past but it’s hard to get ones that are actually silver any more, most are grey like primer.

It’s worth noting that paint doesn’t like sticking to stainless so a rub over with a scotchpad first helps.

So there is a slight change in tone with these tips fitted. Just run the car, not taken it out and there’s a slightly lower, deeper burble on idle and when revved.I’m not expecting very much as its only the trims that have been replaced. Did a short tick over video but don’t know how to upload it.

1 Like

You upload it to YouTube then copy/paste the link to here. The OC forum doesn’t seem to allow direct posting from you own video files like say they do images.:+1:

Ah I’ve never uploaded a video in my life :joy:. You’ll have to take my word for it, sounds better :grin:.

Ignore the tinny/rattling sound, it’s definitely nothing on the car (I’ve checked) the phones mic picking up the sound bouncing off the wall. Mine sounds throaty👍

Isn’t that an aftermarket box? Very nice. :sunglasses:

I’ve no idea which but yes aftermarket👍
It’s perfect really, sounds very throaty on hard acceleration but quite tame and quiet just crusing along.
I had a back box on my red NC from mx5parts, it didn’t last long, droned too much it affected my hearing after a long drive. Went Cobalt on that one but this current one is much better and certainly better for the ears.

1 Like

The reason I will probably not get an exhaust is because the manufacturers lie. They all say no drone and I’ve had loads over the years and they all have - apart from a hks silent hi power, that was fantastic.