Tail pipe trim removal mk3

1. My model of MX-5 is: 3.75
  2. I’m based near: kent
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: exhaust tip removal

I’ve managed to snag a pair of slash cut bbr tips and wondered how you go about removing the stock tailpipe trims. It looks like they’re spot welded from below, is there an easy way of removing besides drilling through the welds?

Thanks in advance.

I’m guessing not…

I just didn’t know if the welds seperate easily with a lever or something, I’d sooner not mangle them removing if anyone else has done it before.

Curiosity killed the cat and all that.
Just looked at mine (in the loft as have a Cobalt) and not going to be an easy job on the car for sure!
From a 3.75 by the way.
You have 2 spot welds on the top and 3 on the bottom.
Personally, I wouldn’t drill but grind them off and tease away at the same time when doing so.
Couple of pictures to assist.
Good luck. :+1:

Perfect cheers for that. :+1: Might just drop the back box then to make life easier.

I’ve got the same job to do so let us know how you get on please. :+1: You could try a cold chisel?

Well the spot welds look pretty weak. I wonder if they will pop off… I’ll give it a go once they arrive and see what’s what. :+1:

I might trt a dremmel type tool to cut the trim off around the welds then grind them down. I think whatever route you go the old ones are going to get trashed

I think you’re right. I’ll have a look the the bbr ones and if they’re definitely going to look better I won’t care about damage to the old. Once that’s the case they’ll come off one way or the other :grin:.

1 Like

It’s the BBR ones I’ve got too

1 Like

It’s not a difficult job, I’ve removed mine with the exhaust still in situ.
You can cut the old trims in half if you don’t want to keep them, I found an old screwdriver and large hammer split / lifted the spot welds relatively easily.
Grind or file off the spots and slide new tips over…
As long as you are happy using hand tools, it’s not rocket science. And I doubt you will do any great damage to anything else.
Steve

I’ve ordered a replacement gasket for the rear box so just going to remove the whole thing now to make life easier :+1:

I’m with essgee on this one.
I removed a couple of tail pipes for a friend, luckily the rear box wasn’t fitted at the time.
I used a sharp cold chisel to split the spot welds, the original trims didn’t look too pretty by the time I’d finished but as they weren’t going to be used again it didn’t matter.
I ran an angle grinder over the remaining bits of the spot welds to tidy up the pipes.
Good luck !

I think I’ve got the solution to this one. Now the box is off the car it’s clear that the bbr tips are so much longer that I can literally just cut the old tips off at the pipe where it meets them and slip the new ones on. Will save a lot of faff and still allow me to slide it in and out more to get the tips to protrude to where I like.

And just for a laugh, had to check the pipes fit anyway :joy:

2 Likes

All the more to polish…
:grinning:

Rude not to while it’s off. The machine does the work anyway :grin:

I suppose you might call them the After-burners.
:grinning:

c5d01f0f00447f430fe6793792bd50a9

Tips are on. Ended up cutting the originals off and all went on nicely.

2 Likes