Talk to me about Jimnys.

I now have another one on the back burner.

Advertised 4 miles away but no pictures on the dealers web site, so yesterday i called round on my way home from work and no Jimny to be seen, after asking ‘where’s the Jimny your advertising’ the salesman explains that it’s gone for an mot AND work on the faulty 4x4 system, but if i’d like to leave a deposit the cars mine!

Yeah i’m daft like that, buying a car sight unseen with £300 off the asking price, what’s the number of the space ship i’ve just been ejected from?

Having said that i will be going to have a look at it when it’s back from the mot station.

Dave.

Thanks, but it’s a very hard reading site as the page formats aren’t easy reading unlike MX5.CO.UK.

We you are just going to have to get used to it as it is the best Jimny forum but the very recent reformat of the site has not been good at all!

Tough I’m afraid but good knowledgeable people on there.

I could see you during a Suzuki wagon R Dave ???

Well i may pull the trigger on one tomorrow, i found a dealer 45 miles away who has 15 Jims on the forecourt and i’ve just driven (in the snow) and narrowed it down to an 04 plate with 31,000mls on the clock.
The underside has very little superficial rust that can be very easily cleaned off and treated.

I had a look underneath a 54 plate 26,000ml,car and it was rotten with rust but looked nice.

Insurance quotes came in at £172 tpft only which is all i need.

Gonna have a couple of pints tonight and mull it over.

like my old one…

Looks tidy…

Did you ask for a quote for comprehensive?  I tried getting TP only/TPFT quotes for my Mk2, which was worthvery little, but comprehensive was cheaper!

The other thing that improved the quote was adding my wife - do you happen to have one of those?

Yes,

I have found comprehensive insurance cheaper than third party fire and theft but as always it depends on how the insurance company risks you on their scoring system.

Picking the Jim up tomorrow.
£186 fully comp insurance and still keeping NCD on both the MX5 and the Jim.
Let the fettling begin.

Brilliant, if there ia single mod I can advise on doing its getting some more aggressive tyres than the ones fitted as standard.  Some chunky AT tyres will be better in all conditions but if you ever plan on getting muddy then I can thoroughly recommend Kumho KL71 as a good mixture of road manners and mud plugging ability.

You might need to do a little suspension lift to get anything with a big tread to fit though…

Not many people laughing at the Suzuki Jimny today.

My other half retreated 5 miles back from Kingsbridge where she works at a school - the Eunos does not like snow.  

How’s it going safetymatch - looking for an update on Jimny ownership?

Today is the first time I have used 4WDL to go down our hill and regular 4WD all the way to work, and with Vredestein snow tyres too, it’s definitely Jimny weather 

Our Jimny is with my sister in law today. Her 2013 Golf failed it’s MOT on Monday as the fancy control unit that can change the braking force to each wheel has stopped pushing brake fluid to the rear offside brake caliper.

Cost to repair £1,400. The car was bought new from VW and always serviced by them. VW refused to take a share of the cost.

“If only everything was as reliable as a VW”.

No doubt there will be 4 and five year old ND’s with higher bills for a gearbox.

KIA do 7 year warranties!

Ive had two,one that was full off road modified snd unstopable.And a standard with AT tires on,I loved them,they are  just another car that puts s big smile on your face.I was the only one who got out of a very muddy field on our shoot one winter and there where some very expensive 4x4’ simply sinking.I wouldnt hesitate to get another if i took up shooting again.

There is also a very good UK forum.

If that’s the VW dealer cost to replace then might be worth a call to BBA Reman?

Job Done, thanks but the owner wants to keep the VW history!!!

Two words…LOVE IT…
It’s like having another MX5, it’s just as much fun and i can’t resist picking up the keys and going for a 30-40 mile drive/blast just because i can.
People don’t understand what the appeal is…much the same as non MX5 drivers…even though it only has a 1328cc engine it loves to be used, i’ve even slip streamed slower drivers and left them in my wake (well that’s how it feels) leaving me with a grin on my face.
When i first picked it up i did experience the ‘death wobble’ at 45mph but since then nothing, i’m putting that down to a dried kingpin bearing due to it being stood for how ever long before being sold, this will be a job when the weather picks up a little.
I’ve had 75mph out of it but it’s much happier at 65mph and cross winds are a bit of a no go area.
Because of the recent manky weather i’ve not really had much chance to play with it, i’ve cleaned the engine bay and partially polished it, i did the engine oil and filter within the first week of ownership, but i am desperate to get underneath it as i have the diff and gearbox oils on standby and loads of Hammerite waiting to be splashed on.
It’s surprising how many MX5 owners are on the BJ forum that i recognise from this site.
It is such a fun car that suits my needs perfectly.

I think i now own the two best cars ever, an MX5 and a Jimny.

[quote=safetymatch]

Two words…LOVE IT…
It’s like having another MX5, it’s just as much fun and i can’t resist picking up the keys and going for a 30-40 mile drive/blast just because i can.
People don’t understand what the appeal is…much the same as non MX5 drivers…even though it only has a 1328cc engine it loves to be used, i’ve even slip streamed slower drivers and left them in my wake (well that’s how it feels) leaving me with a grin on my face.
When i first picked it up i did experience the ‘death wobble’ at 45mph but since then nothing, i’m putting that down to a dried kingpin bearing due to it being stood for how ever long before being sold, this will be a job when the weather picks up a little.
I’ve had 75mph out of it but it’s much happier at 65mph and cross winds are a bit of a no go area.
Because of the recent manky weather i’ve not really had much chance to play with it, i’ve cleaned the engine bay and partially polished it, i did the engine oil and filter within the first week of ownership, but i am desperate to get underneath it as i have the diff and gearbox oils on standby and loads of Hammerite waiting to be splashed on.
It’s surprising how many MX5 owners are on the BJ forum that i recognise from this site.
It is such a fun car that suits my needs perfectly.

I think i now own the two best cars ever, an MX5 and a Jimny.

glad your enjoying,thought you’d been quiet lol

Very pleased to hear it.

When the Golf finally bites the dust I will very likely get one too.

Had a feeling that the Jimny was as fun vehicle to own.

Not all about power and speed; the MX5 proves that. I had so much fun back in the day with a 602cc 2CV.

Good to hear that the Jimny forum is useful and knowledgeable - we must aim for that on here;-)        

Diffs, gearbox and transfer box.

The square in the fill and drain plugs is not 3/8 inch but 10mm. Do not use a 3/8 square tool as that will round the holes in the plugs. A proper 10mm square plug is hard to find and expensive.