Talk to me about Jimnys.

I did have one on my van but for the life of me i can’t find it, anyway i’ve ordered this £4.95 and it’s marked as dispatched.

As Drumtochy says, the 3/8 version is too small for a 10mm application - do not use under any circumstances

I ran one for 4 years. They have a very hard ride, are undergeared and heavy on fuel but I’m a big fan. Great around town as easy to park and will cope with anything. Tough lower plastic bodywork cladding to prevent car park dents, and you can park them anywhere without attracting the wrong sort of attention.

90% of “death wobble” issues are cured by removing and refitting the front wheels carefully. Beam axles are hyper-sensitive to any eccentricity in the wheel mounting.

Pre-2001 cars (or post-2017) sought after for lower VED but watch for rust on the boot floor with ancient Jimnys.

I will buy one and check but not 100% convinced in using a 10mm hex in a 10mm square. i can see the logic but the proof will be in using it on a breaker bar. I will revert later in the week.

When I posted a while back there was a 10mm square available from the selection list. I don’t think the 10mm hex will work.

Sorry Drum, got this wrong - It looked square in the photo but is actually hex - won’t work.

Safetymatch suggestion seems to be the way to go - found it here a few pence cheaper…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drain-Plug-Key-8-10mm-Square-Part-No-6065-By-Laser-New/132390552882?hash=item1ed3178532:g:4UkAAOSwAC1aLteF  

Jimny, like the MX5 MK1 not particularly good on fuel but VED rates don’t look too bad…

https://www.parkers.co.uk/suzuki/jimny/estate-1998/car-tax/ 

Certainly wouldn’t put me of buying one around 2004 - 7 which is probably the area I will aim for. 

I think I may have one of those, something similar in the odds and sods drawer in the garage. i will recert later on in the week and if I do will give it a try.

I used mine earlier this week twice.

My van had a horrendous grinding/banging noise which had developed in the last few weeks and had become unbearable, so on Tuesday i jacked the van up and removed the undertray, both wheels, calipers and discs, i then dropped the engine oil (using the 10mm insert) replaced fuel, engine oil and air filters.
Then i had to strip the offside drive shaft out and replace the carrier bearing and just for good measure fitted new wheel bearings, discs and pads.

Yesterday on the Jimny i removed the gearbox drain plug (using the 10mm insert) and replaced the GL4 oil.
I also found the nearside brake binding, so off came the caliper, polished and lubed the slider tubes then freed and greased the caliper piston (new seal kit is now ordered).

So in the space of 5 days it has been used twice and i’ve had no issues with it…sods law i will find my old one now.

As there doesn’t seem much going on MX5 wise, i thought i’d update this thread.
Four months on and.
Engine oil and filter, done.
Plugs, done.
Front and rear diffs, done.
Gear and transfer box’s, done.
Sticky n/s/f brake caliper, done.
Engine and engine bay, cleaned and painted.
Panhard rods, removed flap ground and painted.
About 40% of the chassis cleaned off and painted.
Steering wheel realigned.
I have noticed movement in the kingpins when i’ve had the brakes stripped down, so that is on a short list, just need to allow my funds to build up again as i’ve just lashed out on 4 new tyres for the MX5.
Bit by bit its getting there.

Did you say what you actually want to use it for. If its just for road use then you need to buy a neck brace, as said above they rock back & forth like no tomorrow. Credible little off roader with power limits. The best off roader for very little money is the old Cherokee,s. But much more expensive to run as the petrol version is i think 4 litre & thirsty. We had a Vitara for years & loved it but short wheelbase version still joggy. I hired a vitara in Fuotoventura years ago & went places that no human should go & it did everything beautifully. Looks prettier too. Especially the old Fatboy version. 

Have always liked the Suzuki 4x4’s. Had a 2.0 GV from nearly new for 6 years and then swopped to the new SZ5 Vitara.

The Jimny is always our car of choice  for Greek island holidays. Great fun throw anywhere  cars. Always reliable, the GV in six years apart from servicing only needed new front brakes, a new set of tyres and a battery.

The new Vitara great car but so boring with todays electrical technology doing virtually everthing but steer the car, that will prob follow soon though ! Hence why I’ve just bought our Mx5 to get some fun out of driving again.  

At about 8 years old our 2007 car ripped the bracket that holds the Panhard rod to the body an the car steared itself with no need to move the steering wheel, it also broke the transfer box bracket. That in turn a few months later made the transfer box bracket screem.

Double check the Panhard Rod to body bracket just to be safe.

Resurrecting my old topic.

I have now owned the Jimny for two years and i think it’s a brilliant second car (for my needs) and today it has passed it’s second mot with only one advisory which i knew about and will sort as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

slight play in offside king pin bearings

I have the bearings and drive shaft seal sitting in my garage, waiting.

£260 tax. £186 mirrored insurance with the MX5.

Couldn’t be happier!

p.s. 04 reg at 37,000mls.

The late cars like ours Nov 2016 are holding their price very well as people cannot get the new model.

We had someone leave a message on the car just before Christmass to phone them if we wanted to sell it.

Jimny’s also rust away in hidden places in common with the MX-5…

I’ve thought aboutn getting a Jimny a few times in the past, only ever sat in one stationary but have seen so many videos that show just how amazing they are as off roaders/in snow. Funnily enough, as we will be moving to the scottish borders soon (all going to plan) we’ve been mulling over getting a beater of a 4x4 just for the winters. They get snow pretty bad down there so might be something we go ahead with. We too thought about a Jimny.

I have noticed too how well they are holding their value. Garage down the road had one (think it was a 55 plate) and they wanted 4.5K for it with 70K on the clock!

You got any photos of your safteymatch?  Would love to see it.

Dave

Love the little Jimnys always try to hire one when on holiday, such a fun car. Did look at the new one when our Vitara was in for service but as a main car just too small with a very tiny boot. Bought our first Grand Vitara after hiring the Jimny a few times now have the new Vitara which are both good trouble free cars but love the open topped Jimny.

Sadly i haven’t the brains or ability to post pictures on this forum, but if anybody is interested, pm your mobile number and i can ‘whats app’ a few pictures over.

Dave.

If I remember correctly, pistonheads did a recent article on owning a Jimny - worth a read, although I know a couple of people who own Jimnys

and their views are much more positive than PH!

Which? was also damning in their recent review, totally at odds with a friend of mine who loves hers as it is the only car that can get up the hill to her house in the winter and has been her DD for the last few years (her hubby is a gifted mechanic though).

Dave

Very pleased to hear that you are still happy with the Jimny after more than 2 years. I think that is a long enough period for the annoyances/pleasures to have filtered through and an honest appraisal.

Still intending to buy one but only when the Golf finally gives up on me. A few close calls recently but just got the glow plugs sorted(mainly) and another MOT. Went straight through this time.