Teardrop speaker covers

1. My model of MX-5 is: na
  2. I’m based near: __sheffield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __speaker covers

I’m about to recover my door cards and before doing so have been looking for a pair of teardrop aluminium speaker covers, alas people want silly money and I’m from Yorkshire :joy: …so plan B is to look at getting some fake ones made, I know of a local company that do water jet cutting and I have a friend that’s used them to make decorative retro hifi amp fronts in polished SS steel. What I need is a kind person who has the real parts who’s willing to send me a template on paper ie draw around their genuine part. I’ll then create a CAD file from the sizes to pass on the the Water jet cutters. The main reason for wanting to be as close to the originals as possible is in case I decide to help other owners source replacements for old damaged covers, hence they should easily fit and look ok.

Hi Trev, can’t help with sourcing a pair of covers but thought it worth mentioning that the door cards are different on the models that came with the teardrop speaker grilles? The standard cards have the front lower corner missing completely, the square(ish) plastic grille makes up the corner. On the teardrop ones, they just have a circular cut out for the speaker with the door card being a ‘full’ card? I noticed you were planning to recover them anyway but you may need to make up new cards too.
Good luck with your search :+1:
Barrie

Thanks for reminding me of this, I’ve previously made new cards and yes I’d forgotten this important detail. I think I will need to make new (again). Just out of interest; there are covers available from a company called DCN Performance, but I think I could do better, plus I don’t like the large letter M obstructing the speakers

1 Like

Hi again, I guess you know anyway but these are the style you need.
https://images.app.goo.gl/zjwNd5QXhtYEw1cJ9

Quite expensive for what they are? Like you, I’ve previously made my own! I’ve just had a quick look at the covers and as you say, expensive as well :frowning: back in the day, they were cheap as chips! How things change.
These are better and in the UK, I think? Also pre covered :+1:

Barrie

I’ve purchased a sizeable piece of diamond quilted red stitch vinyl and I’m unashamedly copying the Mx5 pictured. I think I’m one of those people
that get more pleasure from being able to say ‘I did that’ - in truth I spend as much time tinkering with the car as driving

1 Like

A man after my own heart! I have to say, that vinyl looks amazing? It’s almost exactly like the stuff I have in my current car.

Not the best pic :confused: can I ask where you sourced it?
Barrie

Thanks for picture, that’s exactly the look I’m going for, the roll of vinyl I have will be enough to do my transmission tunnel and rear shelf, so I’m going for a updated look with out hopefully losing the NA character.

1 Like

I have 2 no. Tear drops if you want make offer
Cheers Mansel (new member)

Thanks and sorry for delay in reply. I’m sorted now. I’m sure you’ll move them, there becoming hard to find in good condition. For anyone else reading this, here’s my before and after pics

4 Likes