Thai Car Market

I’m contemplating relocating to Thailand over the next couple of years. I work from home, and my employer is happy for me to do that from anywhere.

Anyhow, the bad news is the Mazda can’t accompany me. As of last year, Thailand has put a total ban on the import of used cars for personal use, except museum pieces.

Browsing Thai ads reveals MX5s are extremely expensive. The entry price for a NA is about 750,000 Baht; over £17,500!!

eg This 1994 model isn’t particularly remarkable, probably resprayed, 100k, will set yoiu back £18,500

A NB? Even more expensive. This one is £21k

Searching the ads, reveals some interesting machinery.

This is a “cheap” NA with a SR20 swap, £17k

Wide body RX8, $17k, 1JZ swap

BMW E30s are common, most with Toyota engines. This tidy example with a Japanese heart is £2400

Some surprising old Brit cars survive, including lots of old Austin AD016s

This one is odd, with welded up rear doors

Sad Allegro. This beauty has an asking price of £900, but the interior needs disinfecting

A fair few Rovers pop up, nearly all Rover 600s, something largely disappeared from UK roads

Big ol’ Volvo

With Toyota power…

This thing is a mystery. Its rwd and has Mazda/ Aston Martin rear lights

Lovely and rare Mazda Luce estate. I’m sure it looks better than how it drives. Factory venetian blinds

Triumph, Toyota power

£10,000 Mexico replica…Toyota heart

Not exactly original, but a rarity even back in the day, Peugeot 305 Gti

Pandem (Rocket Bunny) E30

An unexpected Thai Austin Maxi

1 Like

You don’t need an MX-5 :wink:
If you’re not commuting and working from home you just need one of these for the weekly shop
rickshaw
According to Freddie Flintoff and Chris Harris they’re good fun

1 Like

In which case SAZ will be flogged?
Not you…the car.
Or stored for a return some day?
You appear to be ridding spares & bits.
UK vs Thailand no brainer I’d have thought.
Good luck if you do.

The part of Thailand I am heading to (maybe) doesn’t have Tuk Tuks.

No, the must have vehicle seems to be a Ford Ranger Raptor (they have the new model over there), with a Mustang nose grafted on.

Technicallty I haven’t needed a car for the last 10 years, as my commute was by train. I don’t do the commute anymore, since 2020, and refuse to engage in hybrid working.

This is the butch version sold on the Thai market:

But now new model Raptors are appearing; mechanically its pretty much the same, but it has the new look that the Maverick has

Just remember you’ll always be a ferang (not sure bout the spelling), basically means you’re a 2nd class citisen and can’t own property. My mates father-in-law lives out there and is married to a Thai woman - everything needs to be in her name, and every time he comes back here for a month or two she sells whatever she can of his - he’s not too bothered as he’s on a very good pension and puts up with it as “it’s just life out there for Johnny forgeiner”

1 Like

Toyota transplants…, what’s that all about ?

Bit off topic, as this is car chat. Falang can own the house, but not the land. Land is cheap. You lease the land off someone you know. no pom pam.

Back to cars, a big old W126 S-Class 500SEL, so extra legroom, and the big Merc V8?

Oh, Toyota V8. Neat conversion though, they even kept the engine covers.

Lovely Mazda Familia P/Up, in good order

Shockingly, this is a 1990 car, not a 1970 car…

I think this is a Holden of some sort. With a Nissan engine, which is ok, because the S6 these things came with wasn’t much. For £2k.

This Corolla is a bit of a sleeper

Oh this is unexpected

A 245hp 3S-GTE (Celica) engine. And its a manual.

Big old American Iron

The modern shifter gives the game away

A classic Skoda in Thailand, how?

Pretty cool little 1968 Toyota 700, looking Trabant like

These BMWs are a bit rare

Looks genuine

You don’t really see these E28s these days

Toyota engine, check

A ratted Toyota KE

A plentiful supply of bullet proof engines versus fragile Euros.

However while nearly all old BMWs. Mercs, Volvos will have had a swap, Jags and older Rollers haven’t

That’s more like it :+1:
Love the red one, would have that myself.
Just as long as fuel prices aren’t too high over there

About £1 a liter at a service station; its cheaper than here, but not as cheap as you might think considering average wages there.

There are companies, like Far East Classics, now importing cars from Thailand; most pickups (old and newish) with ubiquitous Toyota big power petrol swaps. Its a source of RHD Japanese models, but with pretty no Shaken-like restriction on modifications, probably some of which isn’t safe.

I personally think you should look into moving in the Mediterranean. Any of the Greek Islands be nice and quiet, if you have some attachment to civilization Crete or Cyprus be a good option. Cheaper to purchase a house, and living expenses compared to the UK and you can find proper cars (including mx5’s).

1 Like

Thai car events

Some interesting cars for sale in Thighland

I think I want this E30, with smaller wheels and less Alcantara

Decent Series 3 Jag with Japanese power

This Ford 100e (Pop?) is a survivor and I think somewhat rare. Toyota power of course

This is a Thairung Transformer. Thairung is the only Thai car manufacturer, though underneath, this vehicle appears to be basically Toyota Hilux

67 Pontiac Beaumont. RHD, makingn this a South African built car

Mad Max Mk3 Cortina

The engine is somewhat of a surprise

A fairly cruddy late 80s Corolla

with a lunatic engine swap

1 Like

I had to google IDing power and still not come up with any hits… :grimacing:

Japanese BMW tuner. Your Google-fu is weak, as there are loads of Google hits.

eg
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/bmw-m3-by-iding-power/

http://idingpower.jp/html/history/index.php

In the case of the Thai car, they have pulled a tuned S50 motor out of a wrecked E36 M3.

They are wanting 850,000 Baht for it.

The crazy Thai car market means this MX5 will cost 840,000 Baht

Yep, one of the cheapest MX5s on offer right now…

This MX5 is 95,000 Baht.

A bit rough. Oh.

More browsing Thai small ads. What’s very common is a photo of a seemingly decent car, as a come hither come on.

So this Renault 10 looks ok

But this is what is actually for sale

The car only looks straight because it is entirely skimmed with filler.

Interesting little detail:

Hmm, BS standard seats. Of course, 50+ years on, the seatbelts are no longer there. Funnily enough, these cars were assembled for Asia in Laos; a veritable hermit kingdom with the Red Prince. A mysterious country that once had a Renault factory.

There seem to be a lot of Austin AD016s in Thailand. So there really is no need to buy this one, which can be had for 15,000 Baht or £369

A Fiat 124 coupe, smart little car, still with its Lampredi twin cam and a surprise in Bangkok.

Another surprising survivor, a 1964 Ford Thames 400E, and a rare bus version

1945 Traction Avant; only 1500 were made in '45, and this one is RHD

This is an ad for a Beetle, all the ad photos. 380,000 Baht

Half a Mini pickup. The add says this is an import from England… Classic Minis are popular, and they go for big bucks

Epic pickup body conversion. The ad says the radio isn’t included, but makes no mention of the drum kit

A Porsche?

No, a modified Toyota

2 Likes

Oddest things I have seen on Koh Samui today

Mk3 Cortina. It has a GXL grill, but probably isn’t one. At first I thoulgh it was abandoned, as its been stuck in the same place since October, but now I see a socket drive on the bonnet. I expect replacement bonnets are near unobtanium anywhere on the planet.

And a decrepit Skoda 100?