The biggest impact on you, musically

MickAP

2h

I still go back to early 60’s to the 70’s stuff. Even less interested now are the prolonged tracks, rock tracks. No the early stuff was done some in 3 mins and under, can’t be doing with something that goes on and on. Can liken it to as mentioned in another thread, Meatloaf or maybe Dire Straits tracks, some last 5, 6, 7 mins long.

This the complete opposite of me, I like a loooooong track that just goes off on one. However I do like some 3 minute ones too - as long as it has a catchy tune

I shall have to look it up :blush:

Oddly enough, I remember when LR teamed up with James Horner- a very powerful set of pipes she had too!

1 Like

Sweet was and still is one of my favourites and gets played.

I know they aren’t the same line up now, never really was since Brian Connolly departed.
But I think they need a haircut now, not quite the same are they?:grin:

1 Like

:joy: Of course you can. I’m just thinking of the name, No direction comes to mind.

1 Like

Why does that later picture of the Sweet remind me of Spinal Tap? :thinking:

4 Likes

The bloke in the middle looks like Gareth Hale from the comedy duo Hale and Pace , with a wig on .

2 Likes

Major musical impact

Tonto’s Expanding Head Band - Zero Time
Terry Riley - A Rainbow in Curved Air

■■■! I hear you thinking, well these guys went on to produce Stevie Wonder’s Innervisions and Terry Riley is acknowledged in the Who’s Baba O’Riley.

Oh and Jethro Tull of course.

The album which literally changed everything for me was Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell . Musically it was like nothing I’d ever heard before and only Dylan came close lyrically. The self indulgent , adolescent old tut I’d been listening was suddenly history. So it was bye bye to ELP , Groundhogs , Focus , the staggeringly overblown King Crimson and many others .

I had a similar Damascene conversion when I finally ‘got’ Steely Dan a year or so later .

But I love so much more - from Love and Scott Walker to Alison Krauss , from Bill Monroe to Prefab Sprout and so much more. And John Lee Hooker will always send a shiver down my spine

7 Likes

He’s not my thing normally but for some reason I really love Neil Diamond’s version of Both Sides Now .

Too many to mention. Beatles, Fairport, Floyd, Steely Dan, Eagles, Talking Heads, the Smiths, Miles Davis, BB King, Randy Newman, Dylan, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Zappa, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Carol King, Joni Mitchell, Joan Amour Plating, Glenn Gould’s Goldbergs (1955 version), Gorecki’s 3rd symphony, Rossini’s Petite Messe Solennelle, Handel’s Messiah, Coltrane, Horace SIlver, Billie Holiday’s Lady in Satin album, Suzanne Vega, Sandy Denny, Shirley Collins, Percy Grainger’s piano music, Duke Ellington, Monk, Horace Silver…

I’d have terrible trouble on Desert Island Discs. I’d have to take some Zappa (Hot Rats), Steely Dan (Pretzel Logic probably), the Goldbergs, the Rossini, Billie (Lady in Satin), Fairport/Sandy Denny (Unhalfbricking maybe), Talking Heads (Stop Making Sense or possibly True Stories), Miles Davis (Kind of Blue) I think.

Unfortunately I lost a lot, especially vinyl, in a house fire in 2019. I’ve replaced a few, and listen to some other stuff on Amazon Music but I regret losing my Dan albums and Zappa on LPs.

4 Likes

That could be a whole new thread of it’s own :slight_smile:

1 Like

You must be a mind reader! I LOVE Gorecki’s 3rd., it is one of the few pieces that really effects me emotionally - beautiful! Earlier today I’d been watching a Youtube of the second movement performed by the LPO under Sir Gilbert Levine and the wonderful soprano Zofia Kilanowicz.

1 Like

MX5 Island Discs!!! :grin:

3 Likes

Lol…! MX-5 would be my “Luxury Item” !!! :joy:

For me it’s got to be THE WHO.
I recall being 8 years old, the evening news on TV “Keith Moon of The Who dead”
I dont know why this grabbed my attention but it did… “dad what is The Who ?”… “a band son”
My dad then dissapeared and produced an LP…Tommy
For me that was it… I was now a Mod :grinning:
images

6 Likes

Hi Countryboy, it’s the Obergruppenfuhrer here. I prefer Rory to Joe Bonamassa but I’m more into Stevie Ray Vaughan. There’s also his brother Jimmy who was great in the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Brothers with very different styles, although for me Stevie aces it. I think it depends on what mood I’m in too. There are so many good guitarists it’s hard to really say one is better than another. For a bit of jazzy blues I like Matt Schofield and Robben Ford.

1 Like

Hi Gallaibh, Obergruppenfuhrer here. I must correct Wrinkly Rover, I got to Grade 4 classical guitar. It was very hard work; 3 hours practice a day. To be a good musician takes true dedication and motivation. People like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix etc. aren’t born being able to play, they just spend hours mastering the natural talent they have. Sadly I didn’t/don’t have natural talent :pensive:

4 Likes

Kind of depends when. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Focus, Beethoven were all important for me in my youth.

Much later when I started to learn to play guitar, Gary Moore, Peter Green and Andy Latimer have been a huge influence. I only wish I had even half their talent, but alas…

3 Likes

Radio 2 growing up was playing the 60’s and 70’s, I had some tapes my dad made me of Help, Hard Days Night, and the red and blue albums, plus the Star Wars score (though Empire is a better score) later when I became a drummer at 18 a friend gave me a tape with Steely Dan’s Aja on one side and A night in Tunisia by Art Blakey on the other.

That led me to my favourite drummers and a healthy dose of Steely Dan being prescribed yearly for about a month. Otherwise The Police, Van Halen and Depeche Mode are my other mainstays but I’ll listen to almost anything as long as it’s good. Electronic modular synths to thrash. I’ve had to learn an incredible amount of songs or be capable of knocking them out when required by emulating the style so a wide range helps.

Of course I grew up in the 80’s so still a sucker for Duran Duran and all that hair and make up too😁

If anyone shouts for Rio I’m ready for that tom fill intro.

1 Like

My musical tastes are ridiculously diverse - from Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole via Motown, Atlantic and Northern Soul to contemporary Hip Hop - Roots Manuva, Loyle Carner and yes, Kanye West.

My all time favourites since about 1985 are Everything But The Girl (+ Tracey Thorn & Ben Watt solo) and the late John Martyn - who I was lucky enough to have seen live 12-13 times. Their catalogues alone would keep me happy on a desert island until my dying day…

1 Like