The biggest impact on you, musically

I saw Gary Moore at Hammersmith Odeon on three occasions, once in his heavy rock days and twice when he went back to his roots and played the blues, he was a sad loss. I saw Peter Greens Splinter group in Brentwood and he was a shadow of his former self with the guy who looked after him playing most of the solos, but every now and then he came back to us.

1 Like

First band I properly fell in love with was Status Quo in 1977. They were in the charts with Rocking All Over The World, alongside Queen’s We Are The Champions.
Seen them over 30 times,although I think they lost their way in the early 80s.
Funnily enough exactly 8 years ago tonight I was at Hammersmith Apollo for a gig on their reunion tour with original bassist and drummer.
My cd collection consists of mostly guitar based rock,although its pretty much mainstream stuff. ACDC,Purple,Whitesnake ZZ Top(seen 3 times)Rainbow,etc
Guns N Roses and Motorheads Ace Of Spades are probably the heaviest I go,and look closely at my collection and you’ll find Rumours and Purple Rain there too.
There’s a good version of Beethoven’s 9th on Rainbows Difficult To Cure,So that’s the classics covered
Would be a boring place if we all liked the same music,wouldn’t it?

1 Like

Saw Gary Moore at Hammersmith Odeon when he was with Thin Lizzy in ‘79. Almost got to see Greeny when I was living in Hamburg in ‘09, but just missed out on a ticket.

1 Like

NO question in my mind. 1971 sitting in my mates bedroom (not going that way), red light bulb in the ceiling and a packet of Golden Wonder Cheese and Onion crisps in my hands.

2 seconds into Baba O’Riley and I was hooked on The Who forever. Attitude, eloquence, aggression, musicianship, showmanship and total Rock and Roll. Probably the most influential moment of my life until then. I didn’t even know that type of thing existed but I did know it was exactly what I was looking for.

Might have to wind up the stereo now…

5 Likes

Haven’t heard much of the Who,but really like the long version of Wont Get Fooled Again

4 Likes

Yes, the Beatles early on, later Led Zeppelin, FREE, Neil Young, Thin Lizzy, Dire Straits are the main ones that had the biggest influence, although I may have missed some. I do have a varied collection with many other bands that I also enjoy listening to, including some classical when I’m in the mood. If I had to pick one it would be Led Zeppelin. I love the blues rock sound they produced; Bring It On Home, When The Levee Breaks, etc. just superb. Sadly I never got to see them, but have seen Whole Lotta Led, who are the next been thing, many times… Although I rarely listen to the Beatles these days, I think they led the way and their music has been hugely influential on many other artists.

2 Likes

Lived in Beckenham, Kent in 60s-70s and there was a club called the Mistral by Beckenham Junction station. With my mates we used to go there to see John Mayall, the Pretty Things, Tyrannasourus Rex (NOT T Rex!) and then we ventured further afield to see Jethro Tull, Dave Edmunds Love Sculpture, Joe Cocker and others at the Marquee in Soho.
Always had to rush off to get last train home but ears were still ringing from the guitar-heavy stuff we loved.
One early single I recall was Take a Heart by the Sorrows. Lovely bass and lead guitar in that track.
Friends still rebuke me for not liking anything made in this century, but give me some Floyd, Zep and I’m happy together with some West Coast - the Byrds, Doors, Tom Petty. And some Neil Young, why not? Happy Days.

2 Likes

Haha, greetings OGF! :wave: Quite right too- can’t demote your grade!! If it’s any consolation, I was taking a trombone exam when I was about 15, for some reason (must have been nerves), I burst out laughing mid-piece, the trombone made the unholiest of parps and I ended up laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe, never mind play!! Fortunately, the visiting examiner was a patient lady :thinking:

3 Likes

Wow that is sooo Rock ‘N’ Roll. :joy:

1 Like

I got to see Zep in 1974 at Earls Court, 3 hours worth and I’m sad to say I found it boring, so disappointed :disappointed:

I can imagine. They would have had some good material to perform too. :unamused:

1 Like

For me it was Joe Cocker’s and Leon Russel’s Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Not only did it combine the best of British and American sounds of the early late 60s / early 70s - blues, rock, folk, Delta blues, bluegrass; it was also the coolest album among my peer group to own / discuss / dissect at the time.

1 Like

Saw Zeppelin at Knebworth in ‘79, epic!

1 Like

Cream
Led Zep 2
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Abbey Road
Wish You Were Here
Rattus Norvegicus
Portishead - Dummy

1 Like

Triple album All things must pass I guess.
Did’nt know till recently Harris was not dreadfully keen on Phil Spector’s wall of sound production on a few tracks.
I think…bearing in mind it’s a Long and Winding time ago…it’s what alerted me to that mental Ginger Baker…which in turn lead me on to other bands.

However, Mother being a high-demand concert pianist & church organist…and “making” me study the classics, that’s where my musical soul lives.
Until…I get in the Roadster then all Hell lets loose…only on my own in the far & away roads.

Mixster, I also frequented Beckingham junction mid seventies then the club was Tites, I can remember admission was paid to some one sat in a vintage car Can also remember seeing Squeeze there…

1 Like

That would be Up the Junction shirley?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t2:

1 Like

As a lad in the late 50’s I was introduced to Buddy Holly and The Everley Brothers by my more senior next door neighbour. Into the 60’s and both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones (yes, I was the one who liked both!) made an impression until I heard The Who. From that day to this I was hooked! Along the way I have enjoyed The Eagles, Dr Hook, Elton John, and also enjoy Country music e.g. Dolly Parton, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain and more. As you can see I have an eclectic taste in music and must always have it playing when in the 5.

3 Likes

**[quote=“Dipstick, post:59, topic:118934, full:true”]
As a lad in the late 50’s I was introduced to Buddy Holly and The Everley Brothers by my more senior next door neighbour. Into the 60’s and both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones (yes, I was the one who liked both!) made an impression until I heard The Who.
[/quote]

Have you been reading my memoirs! :grin: :+1:

2 Likes