The continuing adventures of owning an mx5 nc2!

I don’t think warping is a problem, but you are right to do handling first before power.

Your rate of progress is amazing yet still seems thought out. I only wish I had the time to progress like this as well.

Are you planning to track the car at all?

i dont think so.
yes i do want to do a track day. i actually want to do an instructed track day.
something like what the vet guy did on that tv show where he built a cobra kit car!

to be honest i just try to do alittle each month.
i’v set myself a budget of £500 a month to spend.
tho i have gone over it a couple times and ended up having to tighten my belt on otherstuff.
fortunatly, for reasons i wont go into, i know how to live on an extreamly low budget. which helps! alot!
tho now the major stuff is done its time to drop the monthly budget as much as possible with a max of 250. so that i can put money away for the power upgrades.

as to the body flex and braces. everytime i drive the car i still cant get over how big a difference it has made.
the car now feels just as stiff as any normal roofed sports coupe and the ride is just so much calmer and confident.

you might want to consider putting on stiffer antiroll bars.

you can do quite cheeply if you get a set of secondhand rx8 bars im told.
or you can bite the bullet and splash 200 bucks on the il motorsport ones that i got.
obviously they limit body roll but they also greatly improve steering feel and stop accelation wander as well as stopping the car getting dragged about by white lines and lorry tracks in the road.

ok monthly update time!
in short.
i havent done much this month, just some house keeping things.
(sadly the cross bar brace still hasnt arrived yet)

so i had an oil and filter change, a wheel balance and i had the rear brake pads changed.
rear pads are now EBC greenstuff pads the same as what is on the front!
i have done just over 200miles since fitting them so they should be atleast semi bedded in by now.

gotta say the greenstuff pads are better than standard pads and have more stopping power!
so much more stopping power that i actually had the ABS kick in the other day. which is the first time is ever happened.

ok moving on.
the mx5 parts dip beam bulbs i fitted last month are great.
so much better than the standard and cheep replacment bulbs.

anyway that is about it
oh i did soften the damping by 1 click all round!
the rears are now spot on but i think i need to put the front back up by 1 click.
which would make it 9 clicks on the front and 8 clicks on the back!

4 Likes

so I’m currently saving for the BBR180 kit.
However last night I got totally blown out by a 2016 Golf GTI.
1st and 2nd gear were fine but once we hit 3rd he just blew straight past me.
guessing that golf had a turbo? or a much bigger engine.

anyway because of that I’ve decided to go for the BBR 200 kit!
so because of the extra cost, it’s going to take me a little bit longer so save for it!

2 Likes

For whatever its worth i think you are looking at it wrong way mate.

IMHO in an mx5 you will never be as quick as a hot hatch. Not in a naturally aspirated mx5. You can get to 200bhp with the cams, then add ITB and it may get you to 220. Is that enough? I think not personally and now you have chuck out 3.5k for getting the 200 and another 2k for the ITBs (if you were to buy those)

My 2p anyway :wink:

1 Like

yeah, the golf gti will still prob be faster in 3rd n 4th but it will at least be a little bit less embarrassing on my part.
he really did go past like I was standing still!

also, i am working towards getting the BBR supercharger and I think having the high lift cams in place will give the charger even more oompf!

1 Like

Not always is the short answer.
Be careful, as you could make it worse depending on the profile of the cams which determines the degree of cam overlap etc etc.
Not willing how to tell you to suck eggs, but maybe worth a chat first with the tuner before you buy/upgrade anything and also your future plans?
Like every thing in life, you gain in one hand and can have it taken away by the other.
Looking forward to what you actually do and achieve.
All the best. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Fit this bad boy. :flushed::laughing:

5 Likes

All I’m gunna say most cars I have seen broken down are modified ones… with modifications you are essentially chunking money into the car trading reliability vs more omph (and smiles).

I would be fine with any mods if this was my project car but if this was my my daily I’d be a bit more sceptic about what mods I’d be doing…

Doing my 1st track day in the NC2 next week at Goodwood with “Open Track” which comes with 30 minutes tuition thrown in.

1 Like

Mine are being fitted on Tuesday. We seem to be travelling down the same path, except I’ve decided to not go with the power upgrades…(yet)

Sounds like you already had an end goal with the supercharger setup. There will always be someone that is faster, but that will see off most so I would stick with your plan if I was you.

It’s your money though so do what you feel. Like pimpernel said, I would chat with bbr or whoever first.

By the way, that is a 2l turbo with at least 210 bhp and about 260lb ft of torque so the bbr200 will still struggle on acceleration. You need to stick with the super charger I reckon.

1 Like

i’ve been putting off ringing BBR for a chat bt i think that time is fast approaching.

tbh if i had money to burn i would go the whole hog and get the 225kit and THEN a stage 2 supercharger!!! and a reinforced clutch!
could you imagine an MX5 with 375 BHP!

1 Like

good write up and some nice mods.

im no expert but i think for the money , it might be worth just saving for the charger - i cant see the sense in spending 2k+ for a 200 kit… then to spend another 5-6k on a charger… each to their own ofcourse

im looking forward to reading your updates

I did drive my mates turbo one a couple of years ago. That was 300bhp plus.
Really quick and exhilarating to drive.
It was a standard clutch, which did slip a bit in 3rd/4th when full on the throttle.
Changing that turned it into a fantastic wide smile drive👍🏻

1 Like

ok, update time!
just did a few little things this month, as again I am still saving for the charger.

so my cross brace finally arrived last week, so I had that put on today.
I also finally got the club number plate surround fitted today.
engine oil change and new oil filter, upgraded to a K&N high flow oil filter.
tracking and balance
And finally got the rear brake calipers painted, so they now match the front!

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I didn’t expect the cross brace to make much difference as i have the other braces fitted already but it actually did make a difference!]

also, I have decided to skip the 180 kit and go straight for the charger + header

cross brace

number plate surround

3 Likes

hey all.
I have to sadly announce that I will Not be getting a supercharger this year.

the reason is quite simple.
I Need to have some major dental work done and it is extremely expensive!
once that is done and I know where my finances stand I can relook at the charger.
tho in all honesty I think by that time the mileage on the engine might be too high for a charger!
but only time will tell