The dreaded rust

I’ve been member for two years now and this is my first post.

Today I started stripping the front end of my 54 plate NB Artic Edition. I’ve been winging it for the last two years but finally it failed it’s MOT due rotten chassis legs and boot floor. The boot floor has been sorted and I am waiting on new chassis rail panels coming. This thing is fighting me all the way. Every bolt or nut I try to get off shears off :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Never mind …. Let battle commence…:blush:

9 Likes

Good luck. :crossed_fingers:
Keep us posted.

2 Likes

Cheer’s …… Will do…

1 Like

Yep…Suspect to Be In Similar Boat Later This Month :smiling_face_with_tear:

“Once More Unto The Breach Dear Friends…” :muscle:

1 Like

Hang in there chief. When we got our NA we took the well trodden path of clearing out the drain holes and taking the bolts out of the front wing so that we could clear out any leaves etc that had gathered in there.

I think i snapped every bolt bar one - doh!

They clearly hadnt been touched in a long time and we had a short window of good weather to get it done.

In hindsight should probably have lathered them in penetrating lubricant and left them for a few days.

Lived and learned on that one.

On the upside managed to get them all sorted and now have nice fresh bolts.

Like yourself we got picked up on two small bits of corrosion first time we took her for MOT. That was the first sign of corrosion in the car in her life so far.

On the advice of wide and many we opted to get it properly sorted and then the full car undersealed at the same time.

Very happy with the results and we feel a lot better with that piece of mind.

If you are looking to get welding work done we have a couple of recommendations we could pass on.

If you are looking to get it undersealed we took her to Preserve and Protect which is in Johnstone near Glasgow.

Best of luck :+1:

2 Likes

Update on fixing up my
54 plate NBFL. New chassis leg repair panels have arrived from The Welding Corner Ltd. I Have started stripping down in preparation for cutting out corroded chassis rails and hopefully get the the new panels welded in on Sunday. It’s going to be a long shift on Sunday but it will worth the effort when it’s finished.

3 Likes

Excellent stuff, look forward to seeing the ‘after’ shots too.

No easy way to bring this up…but there is a lot of inner tub structure above the chassis rails which looks very porous as well?
I’'ve been there too.

1 Like

Yes I know. The picture makes the upper tub look worse than it actually is. It seems to be solid. The near side chassis rail is actually worse and will need a bit more work than just cutting out the rot and replacing with the repair panel.

1 Like

That’s fine.
You are aware.
All good.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up… Any advice or hints and tips are always welcome… I will be posting more updates as work progresses…Thanks again.

3 Likes

Just Wanted to Say Thanks for Your Post & Pics & Updates …Really Appreciated :+1:

Chassis rail repair panels fitted and both front wings repaired. Started at 9.30 this morning and finished at 18.00 . Also some repair work carried out on near side engine bay. Will spend the rest of the week rebuilding it if it’s not too hot…:sun_with_face::sunny:

4 Likes

Cracking job, well done :+1:

She’ll be good as new in no time.

Good one, thanks for sharing :grinning:

Job done. Car Passed it’s MOT this morning.

Welding all done and ready for the road​:grin::sunglasses:.

3 Likes

Nice one. Congratulations. She looks bonny :heart_eyes:
Hope you get some sunshine so that you can celebrate in style. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks. It’s been worth it. Cheers.

1 Like

After getting the chassis legs repaired last year I decided to bite the bullet and get the sills done this year before the MOT was due. I’ve added some before and after photos of the work carried out.

4 Likes

Looks tidy. Who did the work?