The first Mk4 built for racing (may not) now be up for sale

This post appeared on Roddison’s Race Cars on  Nutz last night

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showuser=970 

As a matter of interest has anyone experienced the problems Paul describes,on their road car?

A pair of stripped gears -

Broken gears

Busted Box

Note the two owners club stickers on the front of Pauls car

Now that’s a real shame - Rodders has done a lot to help the “MX-5 story”!

I’m sure he’ll not step out of racing though - he’d get restless.

Good news, he’s keeping his Sheffield workshop for all us guys who are looking for great set-ups; his knowledge is really great and I bet he’ll still continue to offer advice freely.

Good luck to Mr R!

Paul has agreed to host another teck night before the autumn - followed by a curry https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst99311_Hot-after-Roddison.aspx

Watch the Peaks and Pennines forum for details

Hello burtonm

Great news that Paul is planning another tech night, I’ll hopefully be able to attend what will surely be another

interesting & informative event.

Regards

Keith

My thoughts exactly!!

Not so good news in these posts that he has had enough of Mazda.

You have only to look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZudJiJcw3s (approx. 9 minutes in) to see the good  publicity Paul has given Mazda and the MX5

Hi guys

obviously you all know by now how I feel, some of my beef with Mazda is they just DO NOT LISTEN…

i told them there were a gearbox issue early in 2016, later that year they said a replacement stronger box is available, my car is only running stock engine/gearbox and diff and IF the new box is stronger why won’t they supply one? My thoughts is the issue is due to the diff having a 2.8-1 ratio and this is moving the torque problem into the box…I don’t think they have cured the problem and fear for owners who after 3 or 4 years decide to take their car on track. 

secondly you may remember me telling Mazda about the stability issue, we sent video footage…only last week a salvage company contacted me asking if I wanted to buy parts from a damaged car, when I received pictures the car looked just like my first race car…coincidence??? REMEMBER this was a road car and could have quite easily been your wife/husband. Now in my opinion this is just NOT RIGHT!!!

we have cured stability on our race car no thanks to Mazda but as I said the above was just a road car.

i hope this post doesn’t get removed due to the contents negativity 

paul

I saw your twitter post
You showed the email Emma from Mazda sent you on yesterday as a result of it, ‘we will contact you on Friday’
I believe you are still waiting and not holding your breath !
I hope they will be reading, ringing you and listening on Monday morning !!
Have the motoring press been in contact yet?

For your info

mazda did eventually call me, the result is…

forget what the yanks do the other side of the pond…mazda UK will NOT give any warranty on ANY car be it race or trackday car that is used on track. They will NOT give warrant on a new gearbox should I decide to buy one if used on track.

both my mk4’s are now on race cars direct…#sadday

Wow no warranty if you do a track day 

I watched the MK4 ads on television last week, I wonder how much they cost?, Ten times the cost of a replacement gear box per spot?
For 2k they could have supplied Rodders with a replacement gear box, he would have they been saying Mazda Uk ? brilliant company to deal with excellent after sales service ! The yanks have acknowledged the problem with the gearbox and responded to the problem in a positive manner, the UK’s attitude is very short sighted.

Not surprised really.  Your normal car insurance won’t cover you so why would the warranty, it’s only a form of insurance after all.

PS:  See warranty handbook page 15 exclusions para 5.3 “Misuse of the Mazda Vehicle such as …racing etc.”

Help me get my head around two words
Insurance and warranty
Insurance -you pay money so your wallet is not stretched by your mistake or some one elses.
Warranty -based on the manufactures faith in the durability of the product

Both cover you for “normal usage”, the use the vehicle was intended for!  Just read my PS, and the warranty!  It can’t be clearer than that, or get your solicitor to argue with Mazda’s.

What has my solicitor to do with things?
The car belongs to a well respected member of the MX5 Owners club.
I am mearly stating that Mazda UK short sighted attitude is doing them a lot of harm.
Surely the cars come out of the same factory, the yanks acknowledge that there is a problem with the early box and are responding in a positive manner

Stop waffling and read the warranty!  If it busts during a normal journey it’s covered!  If it busts during a race it’s not!  Simple really!  Stop arguing just for the sake of it!

The point burton is making is the yanks race them and Mazda have replaced gearbox’s, we race them and Mazda won’t replace them…

the previous mk1 mk2  & mk3 cars have all been robust cars god help anyone with a mk4 who when it’s 3/4/5 year old decides to take it on track (if it lasts that long)

Just realised your obviously not wanting to hear anything negative about the mk4’s as you have one!

would you like to hear about stability?

Over the last 25+ years the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 have been proved time and time again to be great track day cars with no inherent faults. Even tuned or FI the rest of the running gear is pretty much indestructible.

So a couple of years into the Mk4 and it’s looking very fragile.

Mazda are happy to specify a good 0-60 time and top speed. The only way of using this performance to the specified max is on track. Do this and you void your warranty.

From the way I read this they are saying you void the warranty IF you use it on track rather than WHEN used on track. If I go on a track day I accept that my insurance is invalid, However when I go back on the road I’m fully covered. Doesn’t appear that this is the case with the warranty.

As track days are pictured in the club mag and elsewhere I would suggest that anybody going on track should remove or cover their number plates.

Good customer service goes above and beyond terms and conditions. Poor customer service hides behind them.

So Mazda, you are alienating your loyal customer base. We want to love the cars but burying your head in the sand when there are problems doesn’t instill confidence. I’ve looked longingly at the Mk4 since it was released. The more I hear about the problems the more l think I might well stick with my great Mk3.