The Keeper

I have bought my last MX-5, sorry Eunos…

I have purchased seven MX-5’s in the past 8 years and know that for me the NA was the answer. I no longer want to keep swapping and chasing cars.

I naively purchased this one on pure trust, that is a story for another time. It has spent much of it’s last 10 years doing very little being dry stored.

This is a very early 1989 short nose crank engine. I currently have it up on axle stands and have replaced all discs and pads.

Doing diff and gearbox fliuds, cam cover gasket and O ring once parts arrive. My cousin is also putting a new clutch on it too!

7 Likes

I had a short nose crank Eunos. Stopped worrying about it once it went over 125,000 miles.

2 Likes

Lovely!
Ribblehead viaduct? Enjoy!

2 Likes

That’s the odd magic of the Mk1…they can work their way into your heart sometimes.

Others may smirk at that if they wish. Probably never owned one.
As an owner also of a Mk2.5 Sport, and having driven most other 5’s over many years, they are all “better cars” in an endless list of different ways.
Mk1s are demanding, cheeky & can be very naughty…a lot…but they reward back in buckets when sorted like none other.
Mk1’s are so imperfect, therein lie the innate charms the others cannot offer.
I’ve put up with mine for 16 years…but this Autumn will see it going to a new home to someone who is a mature Mk1 guru and trusted friend.
The Bruce will be sorely missed. He has been an fantastic experience…if sometimes expensive due to being a hard worked daily.

6 Likes

The drive over from Manchester to the Western Lakes highlighted many of the issues that need sorting, brakes and noise from bell housing, (slave cylinder and release bearing) to name just two. ‘Little Red’ was being woken up and didn’t like it. The drive back to London a few days later through the Dales stopping at Aysgarth is highly recommended, ‘Little Red’ just felt better. The front end steers like a go-kart, this very much reminds me of my first NA.

Can’t wait to drive it now.

3 Likes

Over the last 24 years I have owned - one NA - three NC - one ND.

Have to say the NA is the one I enjoyed the most, however I found the NC to be more comfortable on long journeys, and unfortunately I just couldn’t get on with the seats in the ND Sport I owned. At the moment I’m without an MX5 but on the lookout for an NC over the next few months. I need one before for the summer arrives.

2 Likes

I’ve had my 97 1.8 NA for 14 years. No ABS or power steering. Proper seat of the pants driving.

It may well be my last (it is also my first), but so long as I can coax it through an MoT each year I won’t be parting with it. A major mechanical problem needing more than its value to put right might concentrate the mind. Only 126000 on the clock, but I doubt it has got in to significant appreciation in value desirability territory yet, so my theoretical bottom line ‘write off’ figure is probably less than the cost of a routine major service on our family run about Mazda 2 Auto.

Hey Theo, congratulations! You’re finally back to where you wanted to be :smiley:

Looking forward to the updates :+1:

Cheers, Paul

All these roadsters will require upkeep, maintenance and fettling simply because of the age , these are far from new cars and will always need attention, even a fully restored one thats had all the bells and whistles already done, its just a case of factoring in the full costs of the needed requirements and the purchase price that you feel they are worth to make the whole project worth while.
But is this not also part of the pleasure of the ownership, the fettling, tinkering,playing , to get right then wearing them and enjoying all side of owning them? with a " i did that"
M-m

True…I definitely paid top dollar however, I have also learned a lot tinkering. The reality is I always send some time improving the condition of newly purchased cars but this needs more than any I purchased in the past.

1 Like

Was struggling to get the front piston back, the following video saved me some major cursing…:sweat_smile:

Diff oil changed today. Car now off the axle stands.

1 Like

I’m an idiot…I was so unhappy with the small oil sample from the engine yesterday that I went out this morning and got engine oil, filter and gearbox oil. Back up on axle stands…

Also used wynn’s engine flush…and injection cleaner.

Went and filled up at the petrol station, the car behind me was a black Z3M Coupé. A guy with a Jag came over to me and said I love your car. I had to laugh because I absolutely love the BM…I also spoke to the guy with the Z and he told me his wife hates it.

2 Likes

Sounds Like You Doubting Yourself re The Keeper :thinking:

The Fact That Guys With a Jag and an Z3M Coupe Came and Admired Your Eunos Shows Serious Respect :+1:

I’d Take That :grinning:

I Mean…Unless You’ve Got LoadsofMoney and Can Afford More Than One or Indeed a Fleet…Most of Us Have to Choose a Keeper [Until They Go to Rust Heaven] :crossed_fingers: :pray:

No doubts… :wink:

What else has the same driving experience on such a low-running budget, actually don’t answer that…

1 Like

It looks absolutely gorgeous and I’m sure will be worth all the time and money you put into it

1 Like

Thank you Peter. Love the profile picture by the way.

2 Likes

Yep…Can’t Think of One…Except the MX-5 :heart:

Last Night I Dreamt I’d Won the Lottery and Magical Folk Came and Dealt With All Bullit Issues [Kind of Like They Do on a Pit Stop in Formula One]

She Became Fab-U-Lous

Then the Same Magic Said ‘You Can Afford It Now…You’ve Always Fancied an Aston Martin…’

[Drat…Knew I Should Be Doing the Lottery :upside_down_face: :wink:]

Theo86…Feel Proud…Cos YOU PERSONALLY Have Created Your ‘Keeper’ Through Loads of Hard Work on a Lowish Budget

That Gets Mega Respect From Me :clap: :+1:

2 Likes

Classic first line…

I had a plan to buy a 911 about 8 years ago and got badly hit financially so settled on a NC, not to be unkind to the MX-5 I loved my first. Then later on had to try a Boxster, got a Porsche Boxster 986 for a while.

What I have come to realise as another MX-5 owner said to me ‘slow car fast or fast car slow’. I get just about everything I need from these great cars. Including some maintenance that can be done by the owner too as I’m no mechanic.

Point 6 on this video perfectly somes up how a 114 bhp car is enough for these Fab-U-Lous cars.

2 Likes

I have the NC but my first choice was the NA. However good ones with low miles are now very rare indeed.