The MOT extension,

No one’s grumpy.
Case you hadn’t noticed, there’s still hundred’s of people dying every day of this thing.
By what’s known about the the progression of coronavirus, that means they became infected some time after the government pronounced ‘hooray, we’re past the peak’, or the others whose general attitude is ‘well, all the old people have died now, so the rest of us are all OK’

There’s a bit too much casualness floating around right now, in my opinion.

To me, my health is important.

I tend to agree with rhino666 that a gradual decrease in the MOT extension period is the way to go.

Skuzzle closure appears to be the result of a culmination of factors, Covid-19 being one.

2 Likes

What a shame that covit 19 effects every thing and it’s infested its self on this site we all know how bad it is and it’s nice to get a break from it on this site let’s keep the topics as they are and not infect it covit 19…hope this does not generate more unnecessary comments…

One person drove and MOTed my car, another came and removed the plastic covers and wiped over the the necessary areas in the the car before giving me the keys back. I had wipes on hand to do it all again before I drove off.
I don’t think I’ll be breathing in anything from the underside or from over the bodywork that someone may have left on there, besides I washed the car the next day anyway.
I think we all need to gradually get back to normal with care no doubt, my local garage was glad I used them, he fitted a full set of tyres for me the following week too, same procedure.

1 Like

This is a thread about the MoT extension. The only reason that we have the extension is because of Covid, so it’s a bit unrealistic to avoid mentioning it in the thread.

Also - there are over 40,000 people in this country alone who were alive at the beginning of the year and who have since died as a result of Covid. Nobody knows how high the final toll will be, so anything that we can do to reduce the risks (and that includes not taking a car to be MoT’d) is worthy of discussion.

If you really want to avoid discussions of Covid, then I’d suggest that you unplug the internet, switch off your TV and radio, and avoid talking to anybody.

1 Like

Cannot help them self’s can they

Sorry - I din’t realise that the Owners’ Club had appointed you as the forum censor.

1 Like

One beer coming up :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

Chill out guys!
Nobody enjoys the negative side of life but it’s there and we all have to deal with at least some of it. The MOT deferment is useful to most of us but exists because of corona virus. Human behaviour continues to be as selfish as it always was, certified in a number of ways by recent activity.
Ownership of an MX5 is one of my ways of avoiding the car equivalent of modern life and insulating myself from another unsatisfactory one sided relationship.

1 Like

No offence taken. However, I did consider your comment merited a response.

Keep it civil, I don’t care whether anyone has paid a membership subscription or not the same rules apply.

If anyone is concerned about surfaces other people may have touched during an MOT, the wipes they’ll have used to clean up after themselves are pretty effective and, if you’re in doubt, household disinfectant makes a similarly effective wipe. In any case, leaving things for a while is enough to ensure they’re safe, and the warmer they are, the faster the virus decays. It’s quite persistent on plastics and steel but after 2 weeks at room temperature it’s undetectable and if it gets hotter that time shortens dramatically, so leaving your car out in strong sunlight is highly effective.

A paper published in The Lancet (below) shows the virus undetectable on plastic after 14 days at 22°C, or 2 days at 37°C, half an hour at 56°C or 5 mins at 70°C. Okay, you’re not going to stick your car in a low oven, but leaving it out with the roof up on the sort of sunny day when it’s uncomfortably hot when you get in is just the job.

Paper in The lancet:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30003-3/fulltext
Their results:
https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S2666-5247(20)30003-3/attachment/cb3624c2-996e-4202-a337-5cf60df1021e/mmc1.pdf

1 Like

A thread to discuss the technicalities of the MOT extension and people’s experience of this please. That’s it, thank you.

The original intent was presumably simply because it was impossible to get a test done for some while after the initial lock down, and people were still having to drive even if no where near as much. However so far as I can tell most garages are up and running now so continuing it does seem somewhat unnecessary. Of course it does remove one small element of risk if you don’t need to take your car in, which I’m grateful for, but it must also be having an impact on garages reducing their income.
Given the constant review and rule changing with every other element of the current situation this one so far seems to have been overlooked for an update.

Mine is due the 26 June so has not been extended yet, would be nice to know if I need to finish getting it checked over or if I can extend into July/August which would be preferable for future years.
Dave

Mine was due June 18th and he extension was applied last Friday Jun 12th

1 Like

Nearly all if not all garages stayed open in my area my local independent did work on my car in April as he said he is open still has to pay all the bills need as much work as he can to stay afloat he picked up and delivered my cay then it sat in garage For two months …

Well, no.

The government has said several times that it is under constant review.

I don’t look at this through the lens of the interests of the motor trade,

I view it through that of public health, and as far as I can see a car going in for an MOT
is not too far distant from the position of barbers. Barbers are considered to be probably among the last to get going again, due to the intimacy issues, and the lack of Edward Scissorhands.

With a car, you’re handing over a personal item to ( mostly ) strangers who’re going to be clambering all over it in some form. Prior to every MOT, I go through a 73 item checklist, all part of the MOT proper, and that doesn’t include the additional underbody stuff like suspension bushes etc that an MOT also covers.

1 Like

The mot extension is essential to folk like me who are shielding & not allowed out. My van mot was extended. It is parked on the road so I have mot to tax it (even though this is free)

2 Likes

good point, I assume you have taxed it using your extended MOT as its on the road. But as some vehicles are parked on the road and can’t be used if you’re not allowed out then they will need to continue the scheme until such time as there’s no restriction on individuals leaving home,

Yes, the mot ran out in early May, about 6 weeks after shielding started so I have used the extended mot to be able to tax it.

2 Likes

As many others I too had extension on MOT , but have decided to get my mk1 done next week , mainly as others have said government will probably change and move goal posts :grimacing::thinking:. But for me I do not want my MOT to be too close to my wife,s car just in case of repair bills if any fail :pray::neutral_face:. Plus rather know now if anything needs to be sorted .