The MOT extension,

Schemes ends on 1 August its now been announced.

So to clarify:

• Any car, bike or light vehicle who’s MOT was due between 30th March and 31st July will have (or has had) 6 months added to their expiry date.

• No new MOT extensions are given to any vehicles from the 1st August

• The end of the scheme on 1st August does not affect any vehicles who’s MOT’s have been (or will be) extended - they will retain their + 6 months MOT date.

1 Like

My mot due 1st aug…not do the lottery that week :joy:

1 Like

Interesting, if they give extensions up to 1 August and have been doing them 7 days ahead will you still get it I wonder.

They say not 1st aug on needs mot

■■■■■■!!! :-1: :crazy_face:

Can anyone confirm what I heard, that the 6 month extension only delays this year’s MOT? So if you were due in April and extended to October then you still need your next test the following April.

That seems sensible otherwise the whole country would have its MOTs squeezed into Aug-Feb and none for the rest of the year.

Not heard that, and doubt it’s true, as once extended that’s it, it just advances the date. I have two now extended and given they will be due now over winter and both cars will probably be on sorn I won’t be doing the MOT until the spring and surely it then just be for a full 12 months from whenever I choose to do them.
A lot of people have still been getting them done anyway and many may not take advantage of the full 6 months extra so i can’t see it skewing the system much, there must be peaks and troughs anyway caused by extra sales at registration changes reaching 3 years at the same time.
Also there is no formal notification that an MOT is due, so unless the write to everyone who’s had an extension they won’t know it a shorter period from next test.

However, you can request a reminder for your MOT after reading

by clicking on the link at the top of that page.

I registered both my cars with it after a slip-up because Tax and MOT were six months apart on the NC.

I’ve just checked and my Mazda3 is not now due until 27th Dec (was 27th June). It is actually being serviced and MOT’d on 28th July, so that will be the new date next year - 28/7/2021

yes, have mine all set for those, and they were clever enough not to send them even though the extension only happened a week before the due date, but then they didn’t message to sat they were extended either, you only know for certain of you go on the website and check,

The MOT for my Eunos was extended to November but I had it tested today. The MOT expires in 12 months time. There is no claw-back.

1 Like

Thanks. That raises a couple of interesting points; those of us with an extension might as well use it up as it means 6 free months without paying for the MOT and for the next several years MOT testing centres will have very little work from March to July.

I’m going to use up my 6 months, then probably leave them untested on SORN, so its going to be nearly a 12 month extension for me, and I know both 5s are fine so I have no issue with that, but a lot of people aren’t waiting, they like the comfort of an MOT or are just getting them done with an annual service as a matter of routine, so as I said before with new cars having the first MOT as well I really can’t see it having a huge impact.

You have to question whether the scheme was correct in the first place, they could have said it was a rolling month extension just to get people through the period when the garages were nearly all shut, but then again like many of the current emergency procedures brought in it was all cobbled together in a hurry, or so it seems.

No garages were asked to shut. As I have said in a previous post to those of us who are shielding, the not extension has been essential really. My van mot ran out in early may but I have to have one to be able to tax it as it is kept on the road. I can’t go out yet to be able to get a ‘proper’ mot.

I suppose I could put my mot tester into my now permitted bubble of one other household but I have other more deserving ones to fill that space right now.

2 Likes

Only this years MOT was extended. You’ll need to get it done in October. The one you receive in October will last you 12 months so your anniversary date will be October from now on. You can change that by having the MOT done before the expiry of the old one.

I think a more sensible idea would be to make the MOT last 18 months regardless. That way you would smooth out demand