The song(s) that got away

During our summer holiday in Gran Canaria we heard a song on the local radio which sounded like Japanese kittens singing. It was unique and somewhat haunting. Since the station was in Spanish, we weren’t able to catch the artists or the name of the song. For the rest of the holiday we hoped to hear it again and have Google identify it. Sadly it didn’t happen and it was the song that got away.

But it reminded me of part of my childhood spent in Holland, where the songs making the charts there weren’t always the same as the UK, yet sometimes the artists were from the UK. Here is one example of that well known song ‘An Englishman in New York’ by Sting you would probably assume.

But no, this was by Godley and Creme. Everyone in the UK must have heard of them, right? They were once part of 10cc and their video making skills were so good (as this creative video shows….back in 1979) that they went on to make videos for Ultravox, Duran Duran, Frankie goes to Hollywood and more.

This song made no.3 in the Dutch charts and was very catchy. Try playing it a couple of times….and it will soon be an ear worm!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows similar songs that were big hits outside the UK, but we somehow missed?

Bush is the obvious band (followed on the coat tails of Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Nivarna) that comes to mind; only moderately successful in the UK, massive in the US.

Their debut, Everything Zen, was number 84 in the UK, number 5 on the US mainsteam

Glycerine was a number 1 in the US (number 2 mainsteam) didn’t even chart in the UK

Swallowed was their only top 20 UK song

Earlier, Foghat. Everyone has heard of Slow Ride but not the band. Its a genuine rock classic. Never charted in the UK. Allegedly the band that inspired Spinal Tap.

1 Like

Other way around here:
Early eighties, myself and three friends were in Crete very late in the holiday season. We were the only customers sitting in a bar under a polythene covered patio with rain pouring down around us, drinking over-fizzy lager and listening to pretty dire Europop.
Suddenly the Monochrome Set’s ‘The Ruling Classes’ played before going back to the Europop. It was quite a surreal couple of minutes.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.