Thinking about a Turbo on mx5 mk2 1.6L Euno

Hi 

Thinking of a Turbo, for my mk2 1.6L Euno

Read the info on the forum…

Understand gain about 40ish bhp

What sort of price (ball part figure supply & fitted)

Any recommendations of local place to buy / fit… south Essex area.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds Paul.

Hi Paul.

You are looking around £1500-2k mark to do it yourself, a lot more if getting someone else to do it. Mtec (ME221 boys) do it for a great price, but it may be a basic set up, though this will more than meet your wishes for 40bhp more. I’m currently doing it to my mk1.

You should easily see about 200bhp with the following -

1. Exhaust manifold and downpipe, Black Cat Motorsports or G19, around £500
  2. Subaru impreza td04 turbo, ebay around £80-120 usually (know what you’re looking for in a good turbo tho)
  3. Intercooler set up. Fast5 sells them as a kit on ebay for about £300, but I’ve bought individual bits as plan to make a different pipe run
  4. RX8 yellow injectors, ebay about £100
  5. You need to drill and tap your sump for the turbo oil drain
  6. boost controller unless you want to run wastegate pressure, £40 (MAC valve)
  7. Stand alone ecu, £500 I’ve gone for the ME221, its a pnp unit and very easy to play with. Other options are Megasquirt.
  8. Free flowing exhaust at least 2.25" dia, £200
  9. Variable tps, GSF, BMW e36 unit about £45
  10. Air temp sensor, GM unit about £10

There may be some parts I’ve missed as this is all off the top of my head!

I think you have most things there :) 

G19 can do them and is in Ipswich, if that helps you, and seem to quote around the £2k mark for most of the above fitted. You supply turbo and injectors.

Hi guys

Many thanks for your time, explaining what’s involved in adding a Turbo.

First I would need somebody to fit it as it’s a bit beyond  my knowledge, so looking more top end of your rough price…

As the cars only worth £1800 +

I may give it a miss, nice to dream though…

Many thanks again.

Rgds Paul

That’s how I initially thought, but things progressed and then it got to the point of no return! Life is too short! Go for it!

The good thing is, 2nd hand turbo parts hold their value, so you could do it, then when you wanted to sell, strip it down and return it to NA spec to sell, and sell the used turbo parts! The mx5 is fun with 130bhp, but just too slow! Now imagine it with nearly twice the power! Then its fun!