Ticking noise from front wheels on full lock

Hi folk, hoping for some help/advice here. Whilst selling my car today mk3.5 2010 Sport Tech, on a test drive and returning back to my house, turned into forecourt and heard a ticking/clicking noise from front nearside wheel area. Thought I may have ‘imagined’ it but new owner to be, then went out with me as passenger. When we returned, I definitely heard the noise. Steady driving in the forecourt reproduced the noise again and again when on full lock but nothing in a straight line (both backwards and forwards). Checked, nothing in tyre treads i.e. stones or whatever, jacked car up, spinning road wheel on full lock, turning freely, no noise. Didn’t take wheel off but checked for free play on wheel (bearings) zero play detected. Back on ground, same noise heard again. Had new droplinks a while back, still like new, no fouling of arch liners, no rubbing, nothing ‘loose’ found behind wheels. Car was MOT’d again only yesterday for new owner with no advisories.
Now normally, I drive straight into and reverse straight out of my garage, only turned so car could be properly inspected by new owner before completion of the sale, which is why I never noticed anything amiss.
Chap had travelled from Uxbridge (one way train ticket) so bought the car anyway but would really appreciate any advise that may help in sorting the issue out as I don’t want to just leave him hanging. Car drives perfectly on the road, brakes in a straight line, doesn’t pull to either side etc. Just the (not loud) ticking noise on full lock. Any help much appreciated.

Barrie

2 Likes

No lollipop stick in the spokes??? :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Ha! No Geoff, took them out yesterday before MOT! :rofl::rofl:

Barrie

2 Likes

Barrie - can’t help with your query but someones got a cracking car (again!). I’m sure the new owner will enjoy it. What’s next?

1 Like

Hi Andrew! Thank you for your comment :+1: I was a bit sad to see it go and I stood out in the road watching it drive off, it did look (and sound) nice! No ticking at this point as it was going in a straight line :nerd_face: No 5 in the pipeline, a caravan is next on the agenda in the New Year! Perhaps I can modify that :thinking: As said, didn’t want to leave new owner with an issue so was hoping someone might have the answer? I’ve got a gentleman’s agreement with the new owner, effectively given him a few hundred pounds ‘credit’ to get the car sorted at his end. Any ‘spare’ coming back to me. Tried to be as fair as possible here. I can pass on any advice received so when he goes to garage he’s well armed hopefully.

Barrie

1 Like

Can’t help with the ticking Barrie, sounds odd but not something you want to crop up when selling. He’s got an absolute bargain TBH but you want him to be happy and great of you too to offer money back.:+1:
All the best.

1 Like

Those symptoms sound like a worn CV joint.

3 Likes

Hi, it does indeed but it’s on the front of the car? It’s quite a quiet noise, not harsh sounding, it’s frustrating :thinking:

Barrie

Hi Mick, yes I was most embarrassed actually as I couldn’t offer a solution for the chap? He’d had a much longer day than me and his train to Leeds was delayed as well. He was happy to take the car with the ‘fault’ I’m hoping it’s an easy fix for someone who knows? That way, I get some of my credit back! :smiley: I even thought could it be brake pad/shim/clip related? Loose pads or whatever?

Barrie

You may have something there with the brake shim/clips. My Mk1 had similar but the rear brake NS clicking, the pads were loose in the carrier (in the notched out section) new pads solved it, a tighter fit. Can’t remember whether they had those clips fitted on the Mk1 brakes like the Mk3.
Anyways it could be something else on your ex Mk3, minor hopefully.

2 Likes

Previously reported as problem with the brake pad clips in the brake pad carrier bracket. Apparently new clips and lube removed the noise. Have the pads been replaced / removed recently?

1 Like

Good point! I’ve occasionally had a slight ticking sound from the front which turned out to be brake related but the noise occurred under braking in a straight line rather than turning on full lock.

Could still be the brakes though.

1 Like

Funnily enough, I get a similar symptom on my Mk1 and it’s the vented and grooved discs I fitted making a noise when lightly braking. It could be there is just enough residual pressure in the system on the brake pads to cause the slight ticking noise🤔

1 Like

Hi and thank you for your reply :+1: pads/discs been on a couple of years? However, I think you may be right and the pads are loose. Will forward this info on to the new owner, got to be worth checking out :+1::+1:

Barrie

Thank you! As has been mentioned, it’s got to be worth a look? New owner is not mechanically minded so would be garage looking at it. Im wondering if getting garage to just fit new pads would be the way forward :thinking: spending on ‘investigating’ the noise first and then doing the brakes anyway is eating away at the credit I gave, even more! Many thanks for reply.

Barrie

Thanks Mal, all pointing to brake related issues, will have a chat with the new owner and suggest getting the brakes looked at.
Thank you.

Barrie

Hi Barrie.
Just a thought, (i know you haven’t got access to the car) i would have removed or lifted the wheel off ground and tapped the spokes with a plastic handled screw driver looking for a cracked spoke.
Easy to say in hindsight when the car is 200 miles away.

1 Like

Morning Dave, thanks for your input :+1: I did jack car up and do a general inspection of wheels, disc condition, pad wear, wheel bearings etc, didn’t go in to wheel tapping I must confess. New owner has contacted me this morning to say he experienced a bit of judder on braking? :thinking: I’ve suggested he gets the mx5Parts full disc/ pad set up all round the four corners (£160) then get them fitted. Can’t do any harm regardless of what the existing ones look like and see if that cures it. It’s my money he’s spending so he shouldn’t be bothered :nerd_face: will report back.
Barrie

1 Like

Well at least I can drive past your house now without the envy…:+1:

4 Likes

Ha! Nice one Bruce :+1: take care

Barrie

2 Likes