Ticking Sound

Help, can anyone help me, the car wont start, nothing on the dashboard, thought it was flat battery, but showing green, lifted up the bonnet to hear a ticking sound, any idea please?

Hi, does it crank at all?
Does it continuely click when trying to start or nothing at all?

Also what do you mean by it shows green?

Loose battery terminal?

Is it an NC?

Hi Alexa
Nothing at all, and does not crank. The click is coming from a small box under the bonnet

Got the AA coming

Might be a starter or starter relay issue or possible bad battery earth.

sorry Mick what is NC?

1 Like

Oh brilliant Alexa, thank you for that, thought it might be something serious

1 Like

That’s alright. I don’t work on mazdas but I work at Land Rover and those are the most common reasons for non start :+1:

You mention “showing green”. Are you referring to a small window on the battery showing green?
If so ignore it! These windows are there to show the battery condition as a guide the the seller when the batteries are new. It’s also worth noting that they only show the “condition” of one cell not the entire battery…

1 Like

Hi Coconino
Thank you for your adviice. All sorted, battery was low, needed charging, as you can appreciate, the MX-5 is a toy, so doesn’t get a lot of use, being that I use the other car to go to work. Thank you everyone for all your advice. Can relax, now knowing it’s not going to cost me hundreds. Have invested in a buddygo battery charger from Amazon, so hopefully, that will keep it buzzing.

3 Likes