Timmelsjoch / Passo Rombo Italy to Austria

This is an awesome road and one that I’d definitely recommend to anyone planning a trip in the Austrian Alps area. It has an abundance of breathtaking views, 180 degree hairpins and tunnels through the mountains. I’ve attached a link to a short clip of the point where we crossed the border from Italy into Austria. The car I am following is my friend’s 1965 Fiat Coupe.

http://youtu.be/DQKqmRx9uX4

Awesome thanks!

Agreed - the run up to the top of this pass way one of the best roads I’ve ever driven, well worth driving. Unfortunately for us the cloud base was really low that day, so we didn’t get to see much at all

Yes, I must say, I think it’s one of the best.

Me and a couple of other mx5’s are looking at a run over that pass next June, the 26th if all goes to plan :slight_smile:

You’ll love it. The Hahntennjoch Pass is nearby on the Austrian side and whilst a lot smaller is a fantastic road and well worth a go. You’ll find details of it and the Timmelsjoch on the Ultimate Drives website in their top 10 driving roads section.

We are staying in Leutasch for a couple of nights then driving to Fussen but the long way via Brenner pass and Timmelsjoch pass - from a 61 mile “direct” route I think we add a few miles on :wink:

Thanks for the tip and suggested web site - I notice that we are also traversing the Black Forest Route 500 on our road trip holiday :slight_smile:

That sounds a great trip, especially with the Black Forest as well. Once you are in Italy via the Brenner Pass you’re not far from the Stelvio Pass. We did a day trip from Bolzano to Merano, taking in the Gavia and Stelvio Pass. Well worth it when you’re that close to it.

Yes, when we were looking at the maps it was mentioned about the Stelvio Pass, but it looks a bit out of our way does that one and by then we might be all passed out!

our trip consists of: Yorkshire to Dusseldorf (for a family wedding), Bonn, Heidelberg via Nurburgring, Triberg, Leutasch via Konstanz, Fussen via Timmeljoch, Nurburg, Yorkshire via Dunkirk & London. around 2000 miles. Should be fun :slight_smile:

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

Well have done our holiday - great driving roads all over the place, but as this thread is for Timmelsjoch I will post photos of that!

Timmelsjoch PassTimmelsjoch PassTimmelsjoch PassThree 5's at the top of Timmelsjoch PassFrom Italy to Austria - Timmelsjoch Passon the way up - Italy side.

great to hear that you did this pass and enjoyed it. Great pictures with some fabulous views. You’ll have to post the rest of your trip in another thread. It will be nice to hear about it.

We’re off to the Alps and Dolomites again this September. The plan is to go through Austria into Slovenia and then into Italy with the return to Austria over the Timelsjoch again.

Yes ace roads we did all those passes and the Grossglockner pass excellent driving and passo Gavia was awesome

xxx