Tipo 184 MX5 Kit

How to make this road legal:

For those wanting it, it includes knock off hub conversion. And fake drum brakes

MX5 based kit

10 Likes

If it hasn’t got a glove box it will be a no no for some… :wink:

5 Likes

And parking sensors

3 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

Where’s the lid

Linked from another forum…

1 Like

Looks gorgeous but I’m guessing it’s not for the road as there’s no mudguards and the sharp bits will never make it through IVA ?

1 Like

Its a track car for those with the time and £11k in their pockets. As a competition car, is it even that competitive, given class rules?

For around £12k, you can buy a prepped Supercup Mk3.

Awesome project. Better start saving my pennies.
I wonder if those wheels would fit an NB? :thinking:

Probably

Noticed it comes with a fake 8 cylinder exhaust manifold. How sad.

Prototype of kit, without red gelcoat

Actual Alfetta 158. Exhausts exits on right hand side…

1 Like

Isn’t it a replica?

Can’t be a replica with a 4-cylinder engine that exits on the left side, versus a 8 cylinder on the right side. Probably not a single dimension matches. Consider it ahomage.

Photo was posted byFlyin Miata of the prototype kit.

Real one

4 Likes

So it needs an NC engine to be slightly more authentic.

I think they deserve some credit for at least trying. The kit is a nice looking piece of engineering.

6 Likes

Agree, think it looks good

Looks fab. And they are working on making it road legal.

Sadly I don’t have any garage space or the know how for that matter to be able to consider it.

This isn’t the first time someone has ried to make a vintage-style single seater kit car.

Xanthos 22. The manufacturer made a series of such cars. This particular car used a Fireblade engine. Xanthos is no more.

This specal, which cost ~£6000 to build, is actually FWD

There us Furore, byuld replica Formula 1 cars for the rad, about £10k for the kit, vased on a MR2 or bike engines

https://furorecars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_0054.jpg

And then there is the Ronart W152, which uses Jaguar engines, S6 or V12. The kit is about £23k, but at least you can take out a passenger (and it probably sounds nicer) and it comes with a lot more bits for your money.

The Vanwell GPR V12 was a big bucks replica. Clever way to disguise the tyre guards.

The Corsa Spyder is a replica of a Ferrari 166 Spyder Corsa, using Spitfire parts

What key omission is missing from this Tipo 184 is what are they doing about the gear linkage. As a single seater, you are sitting on top of the propshaft. The MX5 selector cannot be used between you legs. Its got to be offset. One of the reasons why some kits used the R5 as a basis is that it’s a longitudinal FWD setup.

I can’t see this kit being particularly viable as a single seater. The single seater market is going to want a closer replica, without the Mazda steel wishbones and fake drums. If it was widened to two seater, likely the original shifter can be retained, which will be superior to anything cobbled together in a shed.

3 Likes

2 Likes