Tips for fixing plastic trim scratches

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 1.8
  2. I’m based near: Oxford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Internal trim restoration

Hey folks,

My MX5 has a fair few wear and tear plastic trim scratches, like those pictured below. Wondering if anyone has a magic method for sorting these out? Seen a lot online about external trim products, but less sure on internal.

I was advised by a judge on one of the clubs show and shine events that these 10Pcs/lot ERASER CLEANER MAGIC MELAMINE SPONGE CLEANING 10x6x2CM : Amazon.co.uk: Grocery would work and they certainly did for me.
I think that the shoe shine pad that you get in some hotels are made of the same material.
You might even have some in the cupboard under the sink.
:heart:

Heat gun approach

Mild heat.
M-m

Thanks for the thoughts.

Will give the sponges a go first, given how easy that should be to try. Just ordered some.

Will report back, but would love to hear more ideas etc anyways.

How did you get on removing scratches with sponge

I’ll second the heat gun approach. Bought a very cheap heat gun from Lidl for £12. I think if you’re cautious and patient, you can get loads of these scratches out. It can leave surfaces a little more shiny but the overall effect vs scratches is definitely worth it. Great for footwells and lower door areas. I’m not sure I’d try it on eye line trim where there is a lot of reflective light. I think for those you’d either need a professional or just replace the trim altogether.