To catch can or not to catch can…

2005 MX-5 NBFL 1.8 VT-S Sport

I thought I’d ask the experts…
Im fitting an Eaton M45 Supercharger to my track ready 5.
I’ve been trying to decide if I need to fit an oil catch can or just a breather filter on the crank case?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :slight_smile:

I know you asked for an expert to comment? However, I’m not an expert in anything really (apart from often putting my foot in it) Don’t think crankcase is the place to have one? PCV is the take off point on the cam cover. It then “in theory” stops dirty oil vapour getting through to the inlet mani. TBH, I had one on my supercharged NA and the amount collected was almost zero? Regular decent oil changes might be more beneficial? Having said all that, I thought it looked good in the engine bay! :joy:

Yes, thank you… that’s what I meant to write. I had crank case in my head after searching for filters online. :grimacing:

I was wondering how much dirty oil will actually come out of the PCV on the cam cover with a supercharger fitted. I see a few supercharger setups out there with and without a catch can…

But as you said, they do look nice :laughing:

Was advised at a meet that filter is not the best if ever an oil dump occurs would potentially drip onto the hot manifold and well to be avoided… I had just a breather pipe extension to take this away to the back right corner near the bulkhead drip point. Agreed catch can looks smart as if you go that route :+1:

MSUK require a catch can of at least 1 Litre unless closed loop breather is used IE back into inlet manifold. ( Some engines it has to be 2 Litre )
If you only do track days check the circuit regulations and make your choice.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll fit a little breather filter first and see how she goes… If I’ll put one on if the regs require it.