Touring near Durham and Nidderdale - suggestions please

Hi

My wife and i are planning a nostalgic 3 day break in July in my MX-5. We will be starting from Lincoln and driving up to Durham where my wife was born. We want to stay a night in or near Durham and then drive down to Nidderdale the next day where my in-laws holidayed when they were children. We’d like to stay a night in this area too and then travel back to Lincoln on the third day and then back home to London the next day.

We’d ideally like to stay in country hotels (budget of around £100 - £120 per night). Our priorities are a historic setting, good food and drink and a cooked breakfast. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of scenic routes, places to stay, places to eat, and visit.

Thanks

Kam

Hi Kam,

I live in Durham and will help in any way I can.Firstly there are major roadworks in the city centre which are due to last until August so there are several hotels in the city I can give you the details of but would advise staying on the outskirts.If just one night I would recommend the Honest Lawyer motel/hotel on the A167 just south of Durham near Croxdale.Good food and a convenient place to stay. Then if visiting the city there are two park & ride sites you can use.For places to drive I would suggest Weardale and visit places like Blanchland,Derwent Reservoir,High Force waterfall, Stanhope,Middleton in Teesdale etc but probably best to search on line.

Other places I can recommend are the Beamish Open air museum which is excellent,Locomotion Railway Museum at Shildon or a little further the Alnwick Gardens and/or NE coast in Northumberland.

Hope this has been of help.

Thanks Tony

We’re going to look into your suggestions and get back to you. 

One place that caught our eye is the Garden House Inn. Do you know it?

Thanks again

Kam

Not sure what route you are planning from Lincoln to Durham but if you are not in a hurry then try going over the Humber Bridge to Beverley then onto York and take the A19 north towards Middlesborough. Unless you like a view over chemical works avoid Middlesborough by going via the A67 and A135 through Yarm and Stockton and then follow the A177 up to Durham. Far better than battling the lorries on the A1.

For a nice lunch stop you can come off the A19 at Easingwold and go through Coxwold to Kilburn where you can visit Mousey Thompson oak furniture centre and lunch at the pub next door. You can then go up onto the A170 and come down Sutton Bank to pick up the A19 at Thirsk. All good driving roads in the MX5.

I was going to suggest The Yorke Arms in Nidderdale, but just gone on their site to look at costs…perhaps out of your range somewhat (unless you make savings on the way)! Although, being a one Michelin star you’ll have a good meal there. Might be worth seeing if you can find an offer online for a room.
Another nice place could be Swinton Park, just outside Masham. Pricey but depending on when you go you may be able to get a cheaper price. You can then take the scenic (weather permitting!) drive past Leighton reservoir and then up and over the dale into Nidderdale.

Coming from Teesdale an obvious drive down to Nidderdale would be drive towards Barnard Castle, over The Stang into Arkengarthdale and up to Tan Hill Inn. Head down to Swaledale and Keld and then over the Buttertubs to Hawes. Out of Hawes through Gayle and over Cam Houses and down into Wharfedale. Through Buckden, Starbotton and Kettlewell and to Grassington and Pately Bridge. Turn left up to Ramsgill/Gouthwaite Reservoir and Nidderdale.

Hi Kam,

The Garden House is fine and within easy walking distance of the town centre - not one of my usual haunts but I understand it’s ok. Another nice pub that I’ve thought of is the Seven Stars Inn at Shincliffe which is on the road from Bowburn Services on the A1 just outside Durham City.Whichever one you choose the traffic in the city is a nightmare at present so either come in to Durham from Aycliffe or Bowburn Interchanges on the A1 and NOT Belmont as this road goes straight into the roadworks (Unless they finish earlier than planned)

Thank you all for some great suggestions. My wife and I are going to crack open a bottle of wine and the road atlas over the weekend and plan a route using your insights.

cheers

Kam

Hi Kam,
For a great place to stay try Lumley Castle.
Our regular Sunday morning route is A691 to Lanchester, turn left to Tow Law - turn right onto A68 north. Turn left at Riding Mill round-a-bout. Then turn left to Blanchland turn right to Stanhope (just resurfaced!) - Turn right then left towards Egglestone - then onto Barnard Castle. You won’t be disappointed, just watch out for the sheep!
Enjoy
Jim
Durham & Tyne Tees 5’s

Thanks Jim

We’ve just booked a night at Lumley Castle. It looks fantastic!

Kam

Lumley Castle - I’ve stayed there and it was excellent.
I found the darkened corridor with the busts a little on the spooky side though.

Hi Kam,

Excellent. Let me know your date and I can organise a few 5’s to join you on your run!

Regards

Jim