Towing with NA8C

Hi. My car is a NA8C, 1994, and the Logbook has nothing at Q.1 braked, or Q.2 unbraked, not even a zero. I see in some books and sites, that the 1.6 has a towing mass at Q.1 braked 700kg, and Q.2 unbraked 350kg. Anyone know why this is, as both the NA6, and NA8 are Mk 1’s, has Swansea missed something out or did Mazda change things. I can find nothing relating to towing with a 1.8, but I can find, for sale, Whitters towbars, and others, and also the holes to fit a towbar, the wiring loom is also ready. All I want to tow is approx 280kg in total.

Much appreciated if someone has the answer. Thanks.  Mike.

1994 1.8 Eunos Roadster

Hi Mike
This topic was well covered in the old forum, and I will put some notes in the faq on here
http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=58926&highlight=towing+mx5

What I was told was that Mazda never specified a safe towing weight for the MX-5.  I don’t know where that places the Mk.1 legally but, as you’ve found, towbars are available.
By the time the Mk.2 came along, regulations had changed so that because there was no official towing weight declared, Mk2’s permitted towing load is zero (i.e. they aren’t allowed to tow).

I type too slow. :slight_smile:

Hi Geoff.  Thanks for that info, I’ll have a look and come back to you, if you don’t mind. On the subject of you growing old gracefully in Aus, no, I don’t think so, you’re having a great time, and good luck to you, warm, open roads going on for miles, I’m jealous of you. Best of luck. Kind Regards. Mike.

I have just received some information about towing brackets for use with the Mk1.  Witter it seams don’t make them any more.

“Max trailer weight is 850Kg or manufacture max which ever is the greater”. Quote

“50mm  Ball  Centre Height 350mm - 420mm when Laden” Quote

They are a bit pricey tho’ £193 and the ball part of the bracket is not easily removable,  like some.

Watling Engineers Limited nr St Albans have them. 

Hi.  Pollyanna, your a gem. Thanks a bunch. I have now got hold of a tow hitch complete with wiring. I’m still waiting for my insurance company to get back to me, fingers crossed, as it’ll be a shame not to be able to tow a little trailer. Thanks all. Mike.

Can you say where you got yours from please, and was it the same price as the one I found?

I just fitted one of these on Monday but I only paid £144 inc P&P last week (the price seems to have gone up since then).  I’m not planning on towing as such, just want to be able to use my ball mounted bike rack as I’m not happy putting a strap on rack on the back of my 5.