Toyota's MX-5

Created as a student project and shown over the weekend at TAS, a further SFR concept based on the NC.

I can see the Mini inspired headlights and a Ford like wide grill. Wonder what the rear looks like?

Its features sadly lack the benefit of teamwork . Ghastly .

The rear is wild, much the same as the original SFR.

Has a hint of a Suzuki Cappuccino to it

Can’t see it doing anything for those students career prospects, I personally would not put my name to it. Horrendous sums it up.
:heart:

Looks terrible apart from side on elevation
D

Looks like a whale shark…and overwheeled. Awful spoiler.

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

AI makes a better job of it…

1 Like

Its not supposed to be inspired by the Mini. Its based on the 2016 Toyota SFR concept, which was supposed to be Toyota’s take on the MX5. The original concept;

Its hard to critique the students when you don’t know what their brief was, which might have been “The Toyota SF-R was supposed to be Toyota’s answer to the Mazda Roadster. How would Toyota’s design language be reflected in a Roadster”

I think you will find that this college is not about producing a generation of stylists, but people who are skilled in fabrication and who can take the direction of a stylist (the stylist being effectively Toyota)

I didn’t say it was, just headlights.:thinking:

RS Concept (yawn)

Untitled

Carbon Neutral Fuel MX5

Disability MX5

Another Mazda track concept

eSports Time Attack Virtual Concept (its not real)

Aftermarket:

Build: 「2024年もRE雨宮が熱い!」目玉は13Bツインターボ搭載のNC型ロードスター!!【東京オートサロン2024事前情報】 | 画像ギャラリー ( 6枚目 / 全9枚 ) | web option(ウェブ オプション))

Rather old school rotary conversion

o0640041915389544890

Cabana wrap doing the rounds again. This is an OLD concept

1 Like

The round headlights with the clipped corner are a motif of the SF-R concept. Ford, if anything, copied Toyota with the mouth.

Anyhow, if the college was about training stylists, it would have been made in clay. Its a vacational school. The students were learning techniques in fiberglassing, and shaping foam. They’ve done a good job, and despite some comments, being part of the entry for TAS will have immeasurably improved their career prospects (extemely positive remarks from Toyota).

There are rumours that Toyota actually used a NC MX5 when initially creating the SF-R

Personally, I think it improves the looks of the NC tic tac roadster.

I am beginning to feel like Bob Dylan’s Mr Jones, glad to see a new generation is moving forward with all things motoring :sunglasses::+1:

I think it’s one of the coolest school/college projects, i’d be made up if we got to do stuff like this.

They will probably end up with some sort of apprenticeship with Mazda or Toyota.

Monumentally hideous. I yearn for the 70’s and 80’s when cars had really attractive styling.

A few hits, a lot of misses

@ast That BL / Austin Allegro grille design was well ahead of it’s time… similar can be seen today on the Lamborghini Hurican, Range Rover Sport, AMG’s, Audi A7, etc.
Can’t comment on the rest of the motor…

Or all those cars have retrograde grills. The Allegro was a terrible looking car