Track Day - Bedford Autodrome April 11 - Javelin Track Days

Just wondered if anyone else wad going to this? I should be booking it at the end of the month - be cool to see some other MX5’s there!
Will be my first one in the MX5 so looking forward to this!

link below:
Bedford Autodrome GT Trackday (javelintrackdays.co.uk)

Oh, just noticed this…yes we’ll be there. White ‘Black Edition’ NC2…if that makes sense :crazy_face:

Mark

Will be there in my NC2. My second visit to Bedford, first visit was 15 years ago in my old NB (RO51UHN).

Good to meet you guys! Still waiting for Javelin to upload the photos!

Pleasure was all ours. We were suitably impressed by you and your 5. Hope to meet you again and please do keep us updated of further mods to your car.

1 Like

Great to meet you guys! Loving the 5race bar! Its certainly helped me with my decision!

Great to meet you too James! Shame we didn’t get to chat to the others too.
Brilliant day out, but following you through the corners definitely demonstrates the benefits of coil overs…one for the future. I need new disks and pads now though ;o)

2 Likes

For comparison purposes…

3 Likes

some lovely shots there! You deffo won the award for cleanest MX5

i think i could still use a couple of ARBS - maybe…

That is interesting, though hard to compare from a photo alone. I suspect you were carrying a lot more speed into the corners than we were…I know James was as I followed him a few times (or tried to anyway). You guys were also much quicker around the track than we were…not that we were watching the other MX-5’s of course ;o)

I must say I was surprised by how much body roll there was…this is the first track day for us and the car is also relatively new to us too.

What have you guys changed by way of suspension?

Mark

2 Likes

For me ; suspension wise - only the Tein Coilovers at the minute - although may consider some ARBS - but obviously you dont want that rear end too stiff or it snap more on the bends, certainly in the wet. Part of the fun in the MX5 is having that little bit of roll into the bends.
Dont forget its not just the suspension- its the wheel and tire set up too…
I also think shortened Drop links might be an option - but will let the pros comment!

Thank you both for your kind comments.

I think we are definitely risking the wrath of the MX-5 OC “Ride & Handling” Gods by even daring to discuss this subject.

As you have already said it’s really difficult to make any judgements just from a photo, especially if we are each taking different lines through the corners - even a tiny difference in turning-in point can make everything look very different.

We need to drive each others cars on the same track and day to ensure we are all singing off the same hymn sheet - it’s the only way to draw a meaningful comparison. That day at Bedford highlighted the biggest improvement I could make would be…me (the driver). The car is already too good for me and I need to concentrate on improving myself before any other mods. The only way to do this is more practice and some tuition.

FWIW, the changes to my car are as follows:

KONI dampers with H&R springs with 30mm drop.
MX5 Parts anti roll bar kits (I.L. Motorsport)
Ultra Racing 4 point front strut brace
Wheels are 17" Japan Racing JR21 with Nankang NS-2R tyres

Sadly, with a full tank of fuel, the inside edge of the rear wheel arch does touch the top of the tyre sidewall during tight bends - witness marks on tyre and rubber tyre shavings are circled in red in photos, below

I now await the comments of the Chassis Gods who will tell me that unless I had the parts fitted by “MIxy-Pixy” at “Unicorn Semen Motorsport” and then had the geometry set-up by “Craigy” at “Vocal Orchids Alignment” (in the Outer Hebrides), I have wasted my time and might as well have just kept the standard set-up.

The above paragraph is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

1 Like

do you have a phone number for Mixy Pixy? Asking for a friend?

Hilarious….glad to see that not everyone takes everything so seriously. There where some very serious types taking part at Bedford.

I totally get your point about the driver being ‘the weakest link’……but we all like a bit of a fettle with our toys and there’s enjoyment to be had from that too. Even if the benefit might be questioned by the ‘gods’.

I’ve just taken delivery of new disks and pads……nothing too special just good quality. Following the advice of YouTubers. Capable enough to fit myself.

Next step at some point is likely to be MeisterR ZetaCRD Coilovers fitted by myself and then setup by someone like “Craigy” no doubt. Again following the internet gods advice.

Our car is an ‘everyday’ with occasional track use rather than a full blown ‘weapon’ so that should do for us for now I guess. I think the phrase James used for his car’s look was “OEM Plus”……that works for us too.

Maybe see you both at the next one.

1 Like