Track day driver's seat

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2003 Sport
  2. I’m based near: Skipton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: track day driver’s seat
    Hi…any recommendations, please, for driver’s seat to be used on spirited track days?
    Thank you.

Sparco Sprint is a good starter priced seat…

1 Like

Thanks.
Are they readily fitted onto MX5 runners?

Sadly…not without some in house butchery (apparently). There are NC specific runners available, assuming you want the seat to slide, at an obvious extra cost (more than a single Sparco Sprint seat in fact) :roll_eyes:

Hi Reggie - kind of depends how much you want to spend… I have Tillett B6 Screamers (stupid name) in my NBFL track car, and they’re as good as anything imo. Cheaper - as well as the previously mentioned Sparco Sprint the other default seat seems to be the Cobra Monaco Pro. Regardless, you probably ought to try before you buy as they can be narrow. Plus after two hours sat in my Tillett seat I want a break. Personally I’d only get something that was FIA approved - so that rules out quite a few other offerings.

Cheap short term solution is to buy a secondhand seat complete with rails and do a foamectomy - which means taking the base seat cover off and removing enough foam that it becomes part way to a bucket seat. This will stop you getting thrown sideways or forwards as much and will give you a bit of an idea of how much of a difference a proper seat and belts will make in enabling you to use you hands to steer instead of using them to hang on to the steering wheel. As you’re steering more precisely you’ll go quicker and will decide you need better tyres and brakes, but that’s another story.

Thanks.
The car in question is actually an Exocet kit car in which we’ve got fibreglass shell seats, and on which we’ve got Carbotech brakes, 245 section ZZSs, etc. etc…
I was curious about which upholstered bucket seats folk are using on track in the hope of discovering something a bit more comfortable for my ancient bones.

1 Like

Well not much difference between the 2003 Sport mentioned in your initial post and an Exocet kit car… The obvious point is anything upholstered will get wet in your Exocet. That said, Oxted Trimming / their subsiduary Thundersport will make you some removable pads if you’re happy to spend circa £300. Theyre very nice too - I have some for my Tilletts. They make all Caterhams stuff from memory too plus bespoke stuff for areoplanes etc - very nice quality.

Very many thanks…that’s useful info.
Incidentally the Exocet is based on a 2003 Sport.

1 Like