Track day prep for NC1

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC1 2.0
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

Trackday season is once again upon us, so let the expense begin!

Before my outings last year I changed the gearbox, diff and engine oil. Plus the brake fluid with new pads and discs.

After Anglesey this weekend I’m getting a lot of juddering under braking, so the pads are going to be replaced (hopefully the discs are ok…)

Along with the fluids above, is there anything else that I should consider? I’ve only had the car 18 months, so I’m not sure what the status of the coolant, plugs and air filter are. So they will likely be on the list.

Is there anything else so I look at? Planning on 5-6 more days this year.

If you’re getting brake judder, I’d bet your discs are warped.

The price of mucho goodo fun ain’t half bad though is it ? :smile:
Was it you in the '57 blue NC at Anglesey ? I was in the other Stormy Blue one.
I’d change the oil and filter again ('cos it’s cheap enough do in the grand scheme of things).

New discs also don’t cost the moon and pop some Roddisons pads into the deal too. (Bofi sell them)
They work well and last well so a no brainer (for me at least)

To help prevent problems the ‘cooldown’ lap is important so try not to use the brakes at all on this lap but keep some speed up to aid cooling. On return to the ‘pits’ do not put the hand brake on or sit with your foot on the brake.
Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs but it may help someone.
:heart:

3 Likes

I can vouch for Roddisons pads front and rear, also bought from Bofi.

They are as good as std pads cold but have a real bite when hot and they don’t chew discs.

I hope not, but we will see if the new pads resolve it…

It’s an 07 plate car, I think there was another 57, but I was the Stormy Blue one (with the white wheels).

Oil filter is on the list, had to get EBC Yellowstuff as 24 hours before I suddenly got a doubt in the pads I had on there (Hawk Performance) as they had already done about 4 days, so popped the spares in the boot just in case.

They won’t.

1 Like

I know, but I’m hoping this might be something else! I don’t want to have to fork out for new discs as well.

I had hoped that in buying a ‘better’ set they wouldn’t suffer in that way.

Well you’re being silly then. New pads will not take judder away and all you’ll do is end up buying new discs and another set of pads. Plus why skimp on brakes ?!!!

I agree with Davy_F.
Just a pad change, will not cure the brake judder.
Have you checked the Caliper Sliders, or run a Dial Indicator on the discs to see the run out?

2 Likes

It’s not that I’m being silly, it’s more that I’m trying to ignore the fact that I’m going to spend more money on the car than I planned (had hoped to order a new exhaust and wheels as well).

I’ve not run a Dial Indicator over the discs, and won’t as I don’t have one. I might ask the garage to have a look and see what they think.

In terms of discs, what do people use? Are OEM as good as anything? Also, how long should they last. Angelsey was the 5th day this pad and disc setup had done, and I’d consider myself to be quite gentle on brakes on track.

I use just a standard Brembo plain brake disc currently £54 each from Euro Car Parts. Great for road and track