Track taster sessions

Yes, although the word “track” is in the title I hope this post can stay here so I can conduct a little survey …

Because I think there may be fellow members who fancy getting on track but, just as I was 15 years ago, don’t want to spend all the money booking a full track day and don’t want to take their own car on track. They might also only want to have a go if they have someone to guide them.

Solutions to the above don’t seem to be readily available short of spending £1,000 or double that and inviting a bunch of friends to share the costs.

So how about if someone who normally only does booking in 2 hour slices and who has their own 70% track and 30% road MX5, decided to offer shorter and even more cost-effective taster sessions driving it and/or being a passenger in it at tracks around the country with guidance on where and when to be at the venue and how to drive round the track comfortably and safely and at a pace that makes it interesting and within your capabilities?

Would that be any good?

Yes, of course I hear you say - well how much would I be investing in improving my driving - and/or in having fun?

So how about, if I can make it happen by negotiating with track owners and track day organisers, and paring my pricing to the bone, I could do 10 minutes for £50 and 20 minutes for £75 including track fees, use of the car, fuel, wear and tear on the car, loan of a helmet etc?

Your passenger (that would be me) will be encouraging you to drive at a decent pace and showing you how to do that safely and while showing courtesy to other drivers. It’ll be as many laps as we can fit in within 10 or 20 minutes.

If this might be interesting to you or to people you know, please drop me a PM.

what does that even mean?

You can add another driver on a trackday lets say two or three. Lets say if someone bins it and they get hurt, do you have insurance for that if they sue? What happens if they hit someone else, whos liable because you are suggesting you are assisting but in the end of the day its the driver whos responsible right? What happens to the rest from the group if they cant get what they paid for because the car is broken/damaged?

Thanks for your questions.

70% track means the car is around 70% as well set up for the track as the BRSCC Supercup MX5s. 30% road means it’s just about drivable on the road as the suspension is too stiff, being more suited to the track.

see Want to go on a track day but don't want to use your own car?

Please note that replies to questions will be found there