Track tyres for NB

Has anyone had any experience of Nankang NS2R or the Accelera 651 sports foe use on track days, hilclimbs, sprints etc?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

I have Nankang NS2R good in the dry and summer ok in the wet if you have some temp in them cr*p in the wet in the winter

Hoping not to be out much in wet in it lol…was wondering which gives best balance of grip and longevity

It depends what you want to achieve …

AD08s are a good track and road compromise if you want to go relatively quickly and do longer sessions without melting them. They won’t get up to temp quickly enough for a hillclimb or a sprint though. You’d need a softer compound for those which might mean separate tyres for the road.

At the other extreme I just like to have fun on track nowadays and am no longer interested in lap times. In any case I only do track days now and timing is banned on them in the UK unlike in Australia where I started my “career”. So I’ve set my car up to be rather oversteery. And I mostly use mid-priced road tyres in only 195 width and limit them to 20 minute sessions so they don’t overheat. They start to move around after a few laps and allow me to exploit the car’s ability to be steered with the throttle by making it rotate or four-wheel drift. And as I only have 144hp I’m doing low speeds and can drive the car near to its limits, which is where the fun lives. I often get the impression I’m having more fun than drivers of “M” cars who’re nowhere near the limits of the car.

Am not looking to take lando norris job from him :grin:…just have some fun round track with my daughter. However i also dont want to have to replace tyres after every event, would rather get something that i can get a few events out of.

I run Michelin pilot sport 3s on my NA. I haven’t used them on track, but some race series use them as a control tyre.

There’s a guy called Harry Drysdale on Facebook who sells ex Ginetta race series ones for £35ish plus postage - he’s in Sussex somewhere in case you’re near.

The Ginetta series competitors have to use a new set of tyres in every event. So there’s normally 7-8mm of tread left.

I’ve bought from him and was very happy with the deal.

He only has 195/50x15 though.

Size would be right…although i reckon carlisle is about as far as you can get from the guy haha

Have ordered some accelera ones. Can only see how they go as they weere good money…fingers crossed