Trailer buying

Hi all,

Not MX5 related I’m afraid but I’m looking at buying a box trailer for transporting stuff for my partners new business and have found one that is excellent condition on a Al-Ko chassis for the right price, right colour etc. It has a weight stamp but not serial number. Does anyone think this is an issue? I believe it only needs a weight stamp to le legal. Ii probably doesn’t have a serial as it’s a custom build. 

I’m going to have a look at it later so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers 

Make sure your tow vehicle and trailer (maxload) does not exceed 3.5 tonnes or you will need a tachograph fitted!

You can, ahem, cough cough, buy blank plates off eBay and stamp what you like on them…  allegedly.

Tailer it to suit the tow vehicle. Whoops, damn spellchuck is playing up again.

The serial number on the one in my avatar is my postcode followed by the number I’ve made using an Al-Ko chassis. Year of manufacture 2009 (wink wink) 

CO10***003. When I make 007 its gonna have machine guns and revolving numberplates. 

Paul G

P.S.

You will probably need to stamp a serial number on the plate if you intend to insure it so that in the event of recovery after theft it can be identified.

As well as this I stamp my post code on the chassis, hitch, and axles as plates can be removed.

Al-Ko is one of the top chassis manufacturers so go for it… 

sorry wrong, you will need a B+E licence, but if you took your test before 1997 you will have ’ grandfather’ rights, test taken after that you need to take another test! (+E)

This is what The Caravan & Motor home Club say:

Licence obtained before 1 January 1997: Combined car and caravan outfit up to 8250kg 

Licence obtained after 1 January 1997: Combined car and caravan outfit up to 3500kg (take test)

Over 70 years of age (provided licence obtained before 1 January 1997): Only trailers that can be safely towed by a 3500kg towing vehicle I.e. up to the vehicle’s max towing weight (over that you need a C1+E involving a medical each year!)

Tachometer would come in if you were towing for hire or reward, own goods you are usually OK.

Found how to copy the link ref my post above!!

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/advice-for-beginners/driving-licences/

SORRY RIGHT

I love when people reply without reading the thread  Original post says “for my partners new business”

HI all,

Thanks for the help, I went for it in the end, turned out to be a great buy so far!

Cheers 

It sounds like you’ve found a good option for the box trailer:)

It’s not uncommon for custom-built trailers to miss this detail, especially if they have a legitimate weight stamp which is indeed crucial for legal reasons. When you go to check it out, it might be worth taking a closer look at the overall build quality and ensuring all other legal requirements are met.

Since your partner’s business is ramping up and you might need more heavy equipment, keep an eye on construction diggers for sale, as they can be a valuable asset for various projects.