Trivial microfibre issue

I know this sounds cheap and trivial (it probably is), but I’ve been using microfibre cloths for years and have always managed to wash and reuse them a few times before they become ineffective.

Recently however they seem to clean very poorly and once washed never give a decent shine.

I wash all our cars weekly and use microfibres to buff them off, I also polish the toys before each outing so I get through about a dozen cloths per week. They’re washed about once per month (no conditioner)

thoughts welcomed but please dont tell me I’m just tight and should just buy new cloths every week

1 Like

Microfibre cloths vary hugely (and so does the cost) so I think it’s difficult to comment on whether your experience is reasonable or not. However, I watched this a long time ago to ensure I was caring for them properly and found it helpful: HOW TO WASH MICROFIBER TOWELS PROPERLY !! EASY !! - YouTube

thanks for not taking the mick, thats a great vid.

We changed from liquid to power a while back and that may well be the reason.

you live and learn

Cheers

Good video. It echoed what I was told, emphasised, years ago by a trader selling mf cloths etc at one of the Nationals.

We cannot use any of the usual liquid detergents/tabs (or fabric conditioners) because (last time I looked with big magnifier in supermarket) they all contain Methylisothiazolinone which brings up a big red rash on all of us in the family, even after double rinsing the clothing. No such problem with a dry powder.

Accordingly, when washing a batch of mf cloths I dissolve the right amount of powder in a small pouring jug, with an occasional stir, and wait until no sediment, and then pour this solution into the soap dispenser on the washing machine as usual.