Turbo conversion reliability

How reliable is a turboed mk1 if done correctly. Apart from maybe more frequent oil changes are they pretty much like any other mk1 except for the obvious performance boost. 

Depends on the quality of the conversion.

I have a '91 LM BBR and apart from a replacement turbo at around 115k miles, TOTALLY reliable - just like a Five on steroids 

(I heard life expectancy for the turbo itself was around 100k.)

Oil and filter change every 5k miles - same as our normally aspirated Fives .

Because the original MX-5/|Eunos engine was essentially a de-turboed version of that fitted to Mazda’s 323, the internals of the standard engine are more than capable of coping with the added rigours of turbo/supercharging - up to some fairly big BHP numbers before you have to start getting expensive engine component replacement.  I’m no expert on exactly what that number is, but clearly, if your turbo is installed and - just as importantly - mapped by a reputable expert, it should be perfectly reliable.

When BBR introduced their turbo upgrade to the 1.6 in 1990, it upped the output from 114bhp as standard, to 150bhp.  Mazda Corporation was sufficiently content with its reliability to offer it (in the UK at least) as an official Mazda conversion, but also to offer the standard 3 year/60k mile warranty on any MX-5 so converted.  

Is this the same for an imported 1.8 from 1994?

My present Mk3, as replacement for my Mk2.5 VVT Sport, is lacking the latter’s oomph, so I am interested with any assistance in this department and turbo may be an option.
I’ve yet to see a ball-park figure for a good turbo conversion, including a proper ECU remap.
Any suggestions?

I’d check out BBR’s website. I think it comes up at about £6.2k incl. VAT or thereabouts for the parts, installation and map. A number of people on here have done this and say that it is fantastically linear in it’s power delivery and gives the 5 the added oomph it deserves! Do a google search for ‘BBRGTI’ and it should be the top result.

Hope this helps!

Yes, my research suggests so, my 96 import is getting a turbo next year.

The 1.8 are also very strong engines.

Where in the country are you? 180bhp makes a big difference, and available at several places