Turbo supercharger

Having to now drive a automatic due to health problems I’d still like a bit more go so my question is has anyone turbocharged, or supercharged a mk1 1600 automatic. If so I’d like to hear from you. 

Rgds Ben 

Ben,

I have an auto Mk1 as well. It’s the 1840 though…and tbh has enough for me most of the time but there have been plenty times 160/170bhp would have been welcome.

Autos have been FI’d…there is no reason why they cannot be as much as a manual from a technical aspect. 

In fact, a chap in Mx5 Nutz called “Gixer”…now long gone, had his supercharged to around 190bhp, and ( ex pat in Greece) campaigned it in auto tests and track days over there.

However…due to the lack of manual engine braking for one, it would be more vital even than a manual to basically start with the chassis & brakes first. By this, I would suggest a big brake Mk2.5 conversion ( easy) and consider rebushing, quality coil-overs, performance rubber, and of course a professional tracking set up. I’d say look into LSD as well…pretty obviuos I guess.

Being a bit of a Luddite, I’d suspect a supercharger would be the better idea in the interests of reliabilty, and the promise of low down ( from tick-over) torque being introduced into the converter. That’s just an assumptive instinct. I have no data. 

Furthermore, these auto boxes if looked after are pretty bullet proof having seen service in heavier applications with lots more torque. London black cabs bolted onto a Nissan derived turbo oiler and USA people carriers etc.  

I can only imagine what kickdown would be like with another 40/50bhp. Fun, I imagine!

Hence my instinct based on risk management (!) to develop a superglue chassis first. 

Edit:

Just thought…it may be given I do not know what model you have, that you already have a “benefit” from having the lower compression mill, favoured in days gone by the FI brigade.

Clearly, it would need to be a non oil burner…and fit for purpose.

Yes it is low compression engine and is sound  and already has chassis bracing under neath as well as upper suspension braces as well… Of course would look at uprating brakes I’m not looking for silly power 180/190 is. 

I have seen write ups about the automatic mx5 box being used on bigger and more powerful motors. I would prefer a supercharger to be honest more low down torque. 

Not an auto but Salon Motorsport (Google for Facebook page) do a supercharger.

40 mins east of Cambridge, 30 mins with a supercharger  , so not far from you.

Cheers

Paul G

Just had a look on the salon motorsport site and it is nice looking kit, has anyone on here been running one of their super chargers if so what is the mx5 like with one. 

I am after a little more punch at low revs and was wondering if one of these would fit the bill.

I’m aware of salon motorsports but if I do go turbo or supercharged it will be a G19 engineering one as I’ve had work done there before and always excellent product and service 

Apologies for the necrothread revival, but I’m new, forgive me.

I’ve a MK1 1800 auto and I need more power, my other car is a tuned SAAB, so it’s going to have to be FI, should I, and what are the risks / issues?

I’m not going to teach I suspect “Grannie to suck eggs” here given the car you have ( SAAB)

However, with the 1840cc engine (as I have) so long as compression checks are even…around 10%/15% of each other and there are no obvious signs of valve seal issues, the cooling system is 100%, and it appears not to burn oil or have any blatant mill issues, you should be ok supercharging.

In my opinion, around 160 /170 bhp from your current ( circa) 128-131bhp should be more than adequate. Torque converters do like torque after all.

The transmission, if healthy, is good for 200bhp or more anyway. It’s a tough old booger. These Mk1 1840cc mills do have some form for oil ring failure but you’d soon know on start up.

Our engines are identicle to manuals, so if worst came to worse and you killed it, a replacement full engine can be had for around £150/250 from known sources, and generally easy enough to come by. 

Tons of Mx5 supercharging articles/ how too’s / don’t do’s  & YouTubes with what you end up with. 

Big thing is chassis & brakes first! 

Cheers for the info.

So, what’s my best way to go about this?  From what I’ve seen an SC off a Bini can be used, I assume I’ll need a kit to mount it and a new ECU / remap. Any advice gratefully received