turbocharging a1.8 vvt nb queries

I have a 1.8vvt 2005 icon with 41k on the clock. I was wondering about turbocharging it. Car is in excellent condition. Not sure how to start or if it is worth doing. Ithink should be 143bhp.  any suggestions how I should go about it. I can do some of the work myself but obviously not the remapping.  thanks

Hopefully this thread will be of some use…

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst90840_Forced-induction-on-a-MK2-5.aspx

I have a mk2.5 which has been turbocharged and I would definitely say with 240bhp it becomes a fantastic sports car which I doubt I’ll ever replace.

Mine runs a kit imported from one of the American miata tuning companies and was on the car when I got it. It’s all bolt on stuff, there’s no need to open the engine up unless you want more than 250bhp. However you still need to know what you are doing to be sure of a reliable setup plus it needs someone who can tune the ECU.

Therefore I would say the easiest way is to take your car to one of the UK companies which undertake turbo conversions regularly. I believe MTEC, G19, Skuzzle, BBR plus a few others I can’t think of right now, can all do this and you’ll get a good reliable set up and if you do get problems, there’s someone you can take it back to.

I’m not meaning to imply a turbod mx5 is unreliable, done well they are not and I happily undertake 1000 mile plus trips in mine. However if you park 10 turbocharged mx5s side by side and look under the bonnet it is amazing how different they all are and no Haynes manual can accommodate that.

But it’s definitely worth it!

Ben 

1 Like