Two year old Yuasa YBX5053 battery dead - UPDATE

This might be a worthwhile warning or I have just been unlucky. I purchased the battery above for my NC in January 2020 and here we are in January 2022 and it’s dead (not holding a charge). I bought it direct from Amazon and they were the actual supplier not a recognised battery supplier like Tayna etc. The consensus seems to be that this is a great, reliable type of battery so I wonder if I have a clone. It wouldn’t the first clone I’ve stumbled on in Amazon.
I guess it might be the very low mileage during the pandemic but it’s been trickle charged regularly.

It’s worth checking on what warranty came with it. Looking at my last Yuasa battery purchase it was more than 1 year, can’t remember how long though as the paperwork went with the car.
Just looked at one Yuasa battery seller on Amazon (Yuasa battery store/shop) and a question answered on what’s the warranty, answer 5 years. I take that as very generous and of course the proof is, would they honour it?

I’ve had two Yuasa batteries, one on my NC still good after around 4-5 years and my daily driver currently has the stop/start option Yuasa battery, been on around 3 years.:+1:

2 Likes

A Yuasa I brought for the Jag with a 4 year warranty lasted 3 years. Not covered as its sulphonated; too many lockdown short trips.

The original 10+ year old Jag battery (I replaced it on precaution), stored in the garage, is still showing 12.2V.

Thanks for the info on your 3 year failure being caused by short trips that might be the reason for mine I guess. How did you learn it was sulphonated and not covered?

1 Like

Trickle or smart charger?? This could be the problem

1 Like

It’s a NOCO Genius G3500 smart charger so hopefully okay? Designed to charge and then maintain the correct levels.

1 Like

Yeah should be fine.I use a Noco G7200 just some people think trickle chargers are the same thing which they aren’t.

1 Like

Trickle?

Was that a proper Smart charger that stops when the battery is full? If so, please ignore the rest of this post.

A dumb “Trickle” charger will eventually dry out a battery because it does not stop at the right time, and excess charging energy is converted to boiling/evaporation and/or electrolysis producing hydrogen and oxygen gases, both losing water from the electrolyte, the latter dangerous and an explosion risk if unventilated.

Have a look inside the cells though the filler caps. The grid of electrodes should be about 1/4" below the acid, just the flat surface of the liquid easily visible.

If grid is visible, you might find that topping it up again (1/4" above the grids) with distilled water, followed by a proper SMART charge can revive it. No guarantees though.

If that YBX5053 has good capacity (50Ah), but is otherwise flat, a 3Amp SMART charger could well take a whole day to replenish the charge; 50/3 hours plus a bit for losses and it slows the charge rate as the battery approaches full to keep temperature down.

A duff and flat battery might show full in only a few minutes because it has no capacity. Recycle job.

I have a healthy (July 2017) YBX5053 in my NC, living right now on one output of this 2 by 2A Smart charger.

I’ve accumulated a few different rated chargers for different occasions; three Smart, one brutal.

EDIT
Ah Bruce255 replied ahead of me. But check the fluid levels still.

1 Like

Halfords

1 Like

I typically buy car batteries from Halfords these days, I find them as good as any and buy ones with the longest warranty period. I have found Halfords swap failed batteries in warranty without hassle, they just swap it over in their car park.

If I’m not using my car for a few weeks I plug my car into an intelligent charger ‘CTEK MXS 5’ or the even better MXS 7.

I always use CTEK chargers and so do my family, they just work in my view.

Roy

3 Likes

Oh, I forgot to say in my last post that the CTEK chargers I mention have 8 charge stages, and Automatic Desulphation is part of the charge system/stages.

Roy

Huge apologies to Yuasa and Amazon. It turns out my NOCO smart charger was on the blink NOT the battery!
I thought I’d top up the charge on my new replacement Yuasa battery and it wouldn’t take the charge even though it measured 12.8V plus with my meter. Tried a CTEK smart charger and all became clear, the NOCO was to blame not the battery!
Oh well, I have a great new battery and a spare too :grinning: