Tyre choice for size and season and upgrading wheels

Hey, all.

It’s winter and I’ve not driven my NB much, but I’d like to since it’s due a tyre change as the old ones have stared cracking a bit from age as bought from previous owner.

I have Potenza T005s or similar on (they’re mismatched back and front with some kind of other Potenza). These are a mediocre summer tyre from what I understand. I have the stock 15x6 wheels.

I am planning on going to 15x7 or wider in the future, somewhere between 7 and 8 inches wide, probably something like Rota Grids etc.

At the moment, Michelin CrossClimate 2s look very appealing, people say they feel like a summer tyre, are super grippy, not noisy and last forever, and they are summer biased, so that sounds up my alley since I live in rainy and cold Scotland.

However, I am torn about the choice - would it make the car feel dull? Also the size - I am considering either 195/55 or 205/50. This is because the speedo is slightly out of touch with reality and I read that 195/55 has it very close to accurate. That, and potentially some comfort gotten back from taller sidewall should I upgrade to 7.5 or 8 inch wheels which will have a straight wall or bit of stretch with 195, and fills up the wheel arch better.

However, I currently have the 15x6 wheels until at least May most likely, so I am worried that a 205/50 tyre will be too wide. The stock 195/50 already look droopy on the sides of it. But then if CC2s are so grippy, then a 195 is probably fine on a 7-8 inch wheel and I won’t need 205s? Looks do matter as well.

I’d appreciate some thoughts on my above self-implicated predicament. CC2s are an expensive tyre (100 quid+) so this is a longer term decision, I won’t be driving in absolute snow, I just want some reliability in wet and cold conditions, I don’t drive the thing out of its mind, just the usual spirited driving around the fun roads outside town.

Thanks!

If you have space to store them I suggest a second set of wheels with proper winter tyres, Then have your decent wider wheels with summer tyres.
I have a set of winter 195/50 tyres on 15 x 6 wheels I have only needed them twice in down in Cornwall I could drive around with no problems on a couple of inchs of snow I overtook a few cars that were crawling along at 15mph The Mazda was fine at 35mph and faster on the dual lane roads
My summer semi track day tyres are useless when it is cold and damp.

I have the CC2s on another car and they are an excellent tyre, I have even got to try them in the snow and it felt like driving on a dry road.

I AM ALSO VERY INTERESTED IN REPLIES TO THIS POST PLEASE AND THANK

MrEdweird for Posting

My 2.5 NB currently has 195/50 15 82v

BUT IS LOSING 10lbs Pressure Weekly on the Rear Two [Just Driving to Shops etc & Back]

I suspect from age/lack of use/curbing :innocent:

Used to have a 14 Yr Old Renault Clio which developed Loss of Pressure regularly even though driven miles to Work et al

Tyre Guys used to rub the wheel down with a wire brush & put some glue on before putting tyres back on

Not looking to change size of wheels…BUT ADVICE RE TYRE CHANGE [or just wire brush & glue] Would Be Very Much Appreciated

Unlike MrEdweird…Don’t Get Too Technical please

Apologies MrEdweird for Doing ‘Add On’ to Your Post :pray: :wave: :clap: :crossed_fingers: :ok_hand:

Mine used to do that, it was corrosion on the alloy rim. I have since changed the wheels though. I if you have a container big enough, dunk them in that & it will show where the leak is.

2 Likes

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 is what you want, good all year and on track, you can thank me later.

Hmm, okay, but I somehow feel like a summer only tyre isn’t going to fare too well should I happen to encounter any snow or ice. :smiley:

You’re right with that. I remember sliding down a snowy hill last year and just about stopping at the kerb with summer tyres in my main car. That’s what convinced me to Fit the Cross climate 2 tyres all round on my Sportage when they needed replacing.

I never use the MX5 in bad weather but would think that traction on summer tyres in the snow is going to be a lot worse than a front wheel drive car.

1 Like