Tyre insurance (ATS)

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NB
  2. I’m based near: __Glasgow
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Nothing right now :slight_smile:

I get my tyres from ATS and always take out the insurance on them, which cost about £7 a tyre.

Free roadside assistance (not sure to what but nuts on too tight they come out).
Depending on the level of tread left can be a free replacement tyre if needed (e.g. side wall) or there’s a sliding scale - but free puncture repairs so IMO the cost of the insurance is worth it for one puncture.

I’ve had a slow in one of my rear tyres for a month or two, just pressure of work I’ve not been able to get it dealt with till today - puncture is on the main tread but near to teh side, so they’re righting off the tyre and I get a new one for free - got to pay £22 fitting, for balancing &valve and insurance again and disposal of the old one - a very good deal.

So I’d recommend getting tyre insurance from whoever you get your tyres from, rather then just going for the cheaper option, worth it in the long run IMO.

I have to say that if I had purchased ‘tyre insurance’ for every tyre I have purchased over my 55 years of driving and owning cars I would be seriously out of pocket.
It is a personal decision but I prefer to ‘self insure’ tyres along with all electrical and household goods.
It is a question of weighing up the risk against the cost of the cover along with the value of the item being insured plus the impact of the loss on your personal financial situation.
I can afford the loss of a tyre or washing machine but not the cost of a burnt out house!!
:heart:

3 Likes

Hi

Have NB 2.5. [17 yrs Old this Month]

Rear Tyres Started Losing Pressure…First One Then t’Other ealier this year.

Reminded me of my 14 Yr Old Renault Clio…Used to Lose Pressure so I’d take her along to the local tyre place & they’d charge me a few quid to rub down & reseal them
in 2007

When I Got my MX5

So…Knew the MX5 Tyres were Legal [ex Criminal Justice]…but local garage wanted £25 per tyre to reseal !!!

How Times Have Changed !

Luckily MX5 O.C. offering Discount via Halfords Tyres on the Drive

Got Her 4 New Tyres for Around £200

NO PROBLEMS WITH AIR LOSS SINCE

Did Wheel Clean/Fitting/Balancing All on The Drive !

OK…Tyres Not ‘Go Faster Top of Range’…But Good Enough For the Mileage She Does

1 Like