Tyre noise - Limited Slip Differential

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1998 1.6 NB (JDM)
  2. I’m based near: Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Limited Slip Differential

Apologies in advance for this cross-post from another topic in the General Discussion area.

My JDM Roadster is a 1.6 “Special Package” with a Torsen Limited Slip Differential. I know how the LSD works, but I have had no previous experience driving with one.

Prior to changing the diff oil, the rear offside tyre would regularly “chirp” when turning right out of one particular junction having a slight incline. I originally put this down to the road surface and a cheap Chinese tyre, but the chirp continued after fitting Yokohamas.

My problem is that since changing the oil, not only am I getting the same chirp at this junction, I’m also getting significant momentary tyre squeal on some roundabouts and bends – even at moderate speed. Is this something experienced by others with LSDs?

I suspect the diff oil was unchanged since manufacture (20 years and 100K miles). Might the fresh oil contribute to a change in cornering characteristics where one side of the diff catches up with the motion of the other side?

Sounds like it is doing exactly what it is meant to do.
Assume the diff allows a up to a 20% speed variation between wheels before the action of the diff limits further variation.
If you now go round a roundabout which requires a greater that 20% variation of speed from the outside to inside wheel then regardless of make, it is going to chirp the inside tyre.

2 Likes

I agree with NickD.
May be more spirited driving would help? :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks.

As I understand it, this type of LSD is gear-driven and does not use clutch mechanisms, so I couldn’t understand why the propensity to squeal the tyres had apparently increased following the oil change.

The weather and road surfaces had not significantly changed, so I could think only of changes in the characteristics of the oil.

Yes my Mk1 G-Ltd would give a little churp at junctions even at very low speeds.