Tyre Pressure Gauges - Recommendations

I have three tyre pressure gauges. Two are the standard pencil/balloon type gauges and one is a Draper dial type gauge and they have a variation of pressure measurement of 6 psi when trying to gauge a tyre pressure of around 29 psi. Even the Draper one has a specification that states “For guidance only” :confused:This is a significant difference when as we all know that tyre pressures are critical on the MX-5.

Can anybody recommend a tyre pressure which they know is precise and accurate with some sort of calibration certificate?

Any guidance gratefully received.

I have this and seems to work ok

never bothered any further than that mate

Like you I have a number of dial and pencil gauges that give different readings. I find the dial ones the most difficult to read when they have such a large range. The pencil ones are much easier to see where you are.
I now use an electronic one as it gives one tenth increments on the BAR setting so at least I can be consistent across all four tyres. It is also the most accurate when compared to a friends calibrated one, but who knows.
:heart:

1 Like

Your local trading standards office should be able to check your gauges. Not sure if they charge though.

Interesting problem.

I too would like a definitive answer, preferably one to BS or ANSI standards that does not need batteries and will work in the cold.

My pragmatic solution years ago was to find a few gauges that agreed with each other AND the regularly checked garage one at work AND gave the same answer on repeat tests AND did not lose lots of air on a test. All mine are now too old to still be on sale, just sub-standard copies available now. The Mazda inflator gauges that came in the kits with the NC and Mazda3 agree with them when not pumping, which is reassuring.

Ideally the gauge should have a deep recess to swallow the valve top and make a good seal, and not require any batteries!

I’ve binned a succession of Amazon cheap generics during recent years that while sufficiently “accurate” on some of the above criteria, either needed batteries too often, or were unergonomic, or lost too much air while taking a reading.
e.g. the most recent was this 2* AstroAI which was a waste of my time and money in 2020.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. I am sure you must be able to get a gauge that has a calibration certificate. I would rather source a new one that I know is calibrated than use trading standards to check mine (possibly at some cost) only to be told that it is not accurate.

1 Like

I’ve had, and used a ‘raceparts’ calibrated (with cert) gauge for years, the rubber encased dial type with a rubber tube attached.
Originally bought in 1984 (!) for use on the then popular air assisted suspension on sports bikes, where iirc required pressures were very low, 4 or 5 psi static.
It still seems accurate today when I check it against other gauges, and it’s reading is repeatable.
At the time the same gauge was used by F1 teams and bl##dy expensive!
Not sure if they’re still available

2 Likes

I have one like this which is a newer version of the one @RichardFX referred to. Mine matches the reading on my Ryobi digital pump and my local garage.

I haven’t had it very long, so not a lot of experience of it long term.

1 Like

Auto Express magazine published a review of the “best tyre pressure gauges” in May this year.
It’s available on the Auto Express website

2 Likes

personally I dislike “digital” tools, they try pass as more accurate when they are not… a manual gauge wouldn’t be that expensive anyway unless you want it calibrated to the nth degree. I reckon if you have 0.5 psi out on each side you will probably wont feel the difference while driving anyway.

1 Like

I appear to be using the Draper 69924, which Draper says is for guidance only! However I always check for consistency - I have a couple of pocket pencil type, and an airline with a gauge on it - between them they are within a couple of PSI with the Draper dial one in the middle of that.

This one claims to be sold to “ANSI B” spec, +/-2% https://smile.amazon.co.uk/CZC-AUTO-Pressure-Certified-Motorcycle/dp/B0899QW9CJ/

1 Like

Thanks John. I will give one a go.

To be clear, it’s the one I linked that says it’s ANSI B, not the Draper one I have.

2 Likes

Yeh, I got that. :+1:

Cheers

1 Like

In the 1970s we had some gauges at work with the 45degree angled head similar to the one on that CZC tube, but they were less ergonomic to use than those with the straight heads.

I noticed at the time that most of the mechanics, grips and riggers preferred the straight heads as they were faster for quick checks and lost less air.

A pencil gauge was the usual type issued in a fleet car “tool kit”, and it was very much like this fifty-five year old Duco, (made in England) which only goes up to 50psi, but then that is all one usually needs in a car. And it is still as accurate as my other gauges. It is also the one I use the most.

The only time an angled head (usually a 90degree with lever clip) was needed was on some of the very small wheels where the hub fouled straight-head gauges.

2 Likes

I have one of these

RACE X RX0014 Tyre Pressure Gauge https://amzn.eu/d/0erXr0O

I got it when I had my caterham and was doing a lot of track days. I find it very accurate, very near to use and reliable.

3 Likes

Slightly off topic but this is my solution.
Got this last year to prevent paying to check/adjust our 5’s at our local Tescon during Cov-id which is a discipline I do weekly, plus my son’s when he rocks up on some Sundays.
Nor do I want to be in a Q at said local or touch stuff Great Hordes of my fellow Haggis Munchers have handled.
Clearly I do not have to start engines either…it’s lithium battery powered like a drill.
It seems ccurate to around 1 PSI at cold. Great tool.
I preset to 26 PSi so I don’t have to think about it.

Oasser 20V Cordless Tyre
8 tyres done in about…8 minutes…

1 Like

Also have one of these.

1 Like

This for me…
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KHGPXBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This the one I have eventually bought. Supposed to be calibrated to ANSI Grade B40.1 (2%). It is close to one of the pencil gauges that I have. I will see how I get on with it.

CZC AUTO Tyre Pressure Gauge with Flexible Air Hose 100 PSI Heavy Duty Accurate ANSI Certified for the Car, Bike and Motorcycle : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive