Tyre recommendations mx5 184

I have been lucky enough to purchase an mx5 Nd 184. I also own a 2.0 sport NC with Rainsport 3 tyres which are great. The new car seems to have less grip on the standard tyres. Should I go with the same tyres, or does anyone have better recommendations please.

1 Like

If you like them, why not stick with them? They will be Rainsport5 now unless old stock.

Hi Terrbarn
I have the ND2 with the 184 engine,when it was new the tyres for about 2000 miles were slightly less grippy,but they seem perfect now unless the road is slightly damp,i also had a ND1 which was just the sdame until for first few miles.

All best Simon

Thank you for your responses. My only concern with new rainsport’s is that they are only available in extra load, and I worried that with the Nd being even lighter that this would affect the ride quality?

An extra load tyre has a stronger fabric in the sidewall ply that allows it to withstand the extra air pressure you put in to support heavier cars. The tyres still compress the same with the same air pressure in them as it is the air that gives them their compressive strength, not the fabric in the sidewall. Think of the difference between a cheap Tee shirt and a better quality “thick” one. They still both screw up just the same. The last 6 to 12 months of MK3 production all used XL tyres because Bridgestone stopped making the “standard” tyre at that point. Ultimately is you are a car manufacturer the 84 rated tyre is cheaper than the 88 and that is what it is about.

4 Likes

Thank you. Useful information. :+1:

1 Like

Historically I’ve had Rainsport 2 and 3 and I’ve liked them but they are quite soft on the sidewall and they wear very quickly.

I’ve got Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my 2.0 ND and they are the best summer tyre I’ve ever had, they are superb and the wear is fair. However I opted for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 on my most recent tyre change on the back axle as they’re a bit cheaper. I don’t regret it but they’re not as good as the PS4 in the damp/wet.

However, I’ve since found out that 215 width tyres (215/45R17) are much cheaper than the OEM fit 205, to the tune of £20+ a corner on the PS4, so will probably get those next time as they fit the wheels fine and will as a bonus improve grip a tad.

1 Like

Might want a read of https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/t/new-tyres-for-nd as more info there. Why is there a “wheels, types & brakes” section and then a “tyres” section too?