Tyre stats and which to buy

So I’m looking at getting some new shoes for my daily NB and I’ve limited it down to two types of tyres taking into consideration fuel efficiency, wet performance and decibel level (dB).

Bridgestone Turanza T005
Fuel: B
Wet: A
Noise: 71 dB

vs

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance
Fuel: C
Wet: A
Noise: 67 dB

Is it worth the lower noise level for slightly less fuel efficiency or a bit more road noise with better fuel efficiency? The ratings are from Kwik Fit.

I doubt that you’d notice the difference between the 2 in the real world. I’d buy the Bridgestone because I like the brand.

I would also agree that you would not notice much difference in the real world.

However, the noise difference is more significant than the MPG. 4dB is quite a difference and as the MX5 is more likely to be driven with the hood off, road nose is more likely to affect you than MPG. Therefore if this was the deciding factor (other than cost, brand preference etc), then I would go for the Goodyear…

1 Like

Here is a thing with efficiency figures, rather like VW emissions. They are produced under lab conditions at a pressure the manufacture will determine and is a measure of the drag the tyre produces in a straight line. . You put that tyre on an MX-5 the “book” pressure is 26, you put it on a Fiesta and the pressure is anywhere between 31 and 36, with less in the rear. The actual, theoretical, fuel / money saving would work out at 10p for every 60 miles, assuming you were driving at a nice steady throttle on a lovely straight motorway! Nice! It is never going to happen. If you want to improve your MPG, put 5 more PSI in the tyres, however if the fuel economy matters, you have picked the wrong car as a starting point.

1 Like

Nick,

I agree with you about the efficiency, as you will never really see it. However you will be able to hear the sound difference and if 2 tyres are tested using the same test and one is 4 dB louder than the other, then you would notice this, especially as dB measurement is not based on a linear scale.

Therefore I would ignore the efficiency and if it mattered, go for a quieter tyre as that is a factor that you potentially could get a benefit from (particularly in a convertible). However in reality I still think that you would not really notice much difference. In which case, go for the cheaper one as they are both respectable manufacturers!!

Agreed.

My old Astra was chosen specifically for fuel economy at 70mph around the M25 every day. It did average 45mpg over 205,000 miles, the front tyres and pads lasted 45,000 miles a time, the rear tyres I changed at 120,000 only because they were perished by six years exposure to the sun. The drum rear brake shoes never wore out. The tyres were Continental Contact, not the ultimate for road holding, but fantastic for commuting.

I chose the NC for fun, mpg is monitored, not for saving pennies, but as a health check much in the same way as one occasionally measures one’s own blood pressure etc. On this I chose the tyres for quietness and grip; mileage and economy were irrelevant. (Dunlop Maxx, infinitely better than the lethal six-year-old Potenzas)

I had Goodyear Efficient Grip on another car, they were excellent, and the main reason for buying them was the noise. Really liked those tyres.
Currently got the new (ish) Goodyear Asym 5 on the MX5 purely because they have won just about every test they have been in.
Also, be aware when comparing db on tyres that the reading is an external drive past noise test, and does not necessarily correlate with interior noise, vibration and harshness.

Might be a bit late to this post, but I was in a similar position with my NB a couple of weeks ago. Depending on size, I would suggest the tyres I put on (Hankook Ventus Evo S1 K107). Got them on blackcircles and they were ~£70/tyre.

They’re a bit more aggressive and not perfect for fuel efficiency, but they’re not too bad after a couple hundred miles and speeds up to 70+. They don’t appear too noisy and they’re fairly comfy in terms of ride comfort. Haven’t yet given them a workout on a B-road, but they’ve been pretty good in the wet so far.

Hope my input helps.