Tyres for a 2007 NC 2.0 Sport

Usual double post thing

I think it was more me being a bit stupid.

Could you clarify the speedo error when running 215’s? I see so many different answers but I just need one clear one. I don’t wanna be done for speeding when my speed says 30 if you get me.

The circumference difference between 205-45 17 and 215-45 17 is about 1.45%.  So 30mph showing on 205 will be a notional 30.4mph when running 215.  However the NC speedo can be a tad optimistic with 205 tyres, and on my car it would be spot on agreement with the satnav with brand new 215 tyres, and then become optimistic again as the tyres wore.   A just barely legal 215 has the same rolling size as a new 205.

I also think the rims would be happier with the wider 215 tyres, just that little bit less likely to be scagged on something.  I’ve always thought the 205 look slightly stretched on the NC rims.  The 215 would also fill the wheel arches that tiny bit more and look better.  But then thoughts these are just my personal opinions.

Are the 215 tyres on 17" rims allowed as a standard fit for the Mk3? Just thinking of the insurance situation if an incident arises.

Thanks for this! I’d like to run 215 tyres and this has made me feel more confident in them too. Plus its good that the rims are less likely to get caught on something!

Don’t suppose you have a picture of the car with 215’s on it do you? Don’t think I’ve seen one yet from anyone.

And do you think there would be any clearance issues as im lowered by 30mm?

To add to this, would they affect an MOT also?

If you are on the standard rims with the standard offset I doubt if there would be any clearance issues as the 215 is only about 4.5mm more radius and 5mm extra on either side, not much at all.

The only reason I’ve not gone to them is that I have five wheels with 205 tyres all in excellent nick.  Technically speaking there might be an issue with insurance or MOT, depending on how jobsworth they are, but a small change like this is nothing compared to all the other mods that are accepted such as lowering on different suspension or adding power boosts with turbos or superchargers.

This is one of those things you need to check out for yourself with your own Insurance and local MOT tester. 

Never assume something you read on the web is legally correct!

Good luck.

I’ve run 215/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1’s on my car for 5 or so years now. The car has -30mm’s all round and there’s no clearance issues at all. It looks the dogs danglies IMO and these tyres have a rim protector bead to help stave off any minor kisses with a kerb. As far as insurance…I make sure my tyres are within the legal limit and that’s what an accessor would be concerned with too. 

Due to the restrictiveness of this site, I can’t be bothered to jump through hoops to try to load a picture of how the car looks. Sorry.

All 215 Tyres