tyres

Just bought my first MX5 . Its got 16" wheels but needs 2 new tyres, any recommendations for tyres with a good ride. The main A12 where I live has the car bouncing around and I reckon the old cheap tyres have something to do with it 

Which model? 

MK1, 2, 3, 4 

Shocks, springs, tyres all contribute to ride.

Are the pressures correct?

Thanks, its a 2017 Mk4. Everything is fine, just serviced and MOTd .Tyre pressures are spot on, maybe its just this road the car does not like!

With 16” wheels and MK4 I’m surmising a 1.5 engine. This model does come with softer springs which may contribute to the feeling you’re experiencing.

I’m a great believer for an MX-5 of having matching tyres all round with roughly equivalent wear. The MK4 handbook shows the recommended wheel rotation pattern and interval (every 5 - 6,000 miles if I remember correctly). That way you tend to replace naturally as a set of 4.

only had the car 3 weeks. Bought from Mazda garage and has 2 brand new tyres already, although not a particularly well known brand. To keep up a balance of wear I do want to replace the front two tyres which are part worn with a good pair which I want to transfer to the back. Thinking of Dunlop Bluresponse - have those on our other car, wonderfully quite and great for grip.

For info. only.  The Mk.4 1.5l (I have one) came fitted with Yokohama Advan Sport V105, size 195/50 R16 84V  tyres as OE.

Hi Stef

This is a driver’s car and recently purchased from a dealer.

If there is issue with the driving experience in normal road conditions, the dealer needs to address this.

MK4 not old enough in theory for tyre/suspension issue but clearly there is a problem.

Certainly the MK3 was/is sensitive to tyres and/or suspension where time or changes had upset the balance.

If the problem is clearly demonstrable I would advise to take it back to the dealer.   

Dealers will most likely fit a cheaper (budget) tyre and most car buyers will just see new tyres as a plus point to buy the car. We owners  know differently though if you’ve owned an MX-5, especially with naff tyres on.

Have a look at the section re tyres on the forum, you’ll get an idea on what’s good and not so good, and fit a matching set

The mk4 is like all the other mx5’s very tyre sensitive, they are also very adjustable on the suspension…if your anywhere near Sheffield feel free to call in for a chat and take our demo car out for a run and see what They can be like…

paul

1 Like

Sorry Paul, am at the other end of the country, will be joining the Club soon anyway, good thing is that my local Area meets about 5 miles away from me in Essex! As far as ride is concerned the MX5 runs fine, the bit of A road being concrete is horrible in any car just exaggerated in mine. New tyres here we come.

What are the “new” tyres that are on it? I’d want a matched set if possible.  Within reason the best solution might be to get another pair the same.

excelon! part of Goodyear, rated 72db, no doubt noisy among other not good things…Fitted by main dealer (cheapskates)

Hi StefT

Without dissenting from what others have said about matching tyres, correct inflation and alignment, I wonder if the stretch of the A12 concerned is between the Galleywood and A130 intersections. My Mk3.5 feels distinctly odd on that section, as if it was continually pitching and yawing. It doesn’t happen elsewhere and was the same, but to a lesser degree on my previous MX5, a Mk2.5.

The Mk3.5 is on year-old Yokos, properly inflated and aligned.

Spot on with that stretch of road. Obviously not my car then, just the road.driving a bit quicker does seem to lessen the effect though!!

I remember that awful stretch of road from when I used to visit family in Great Baddow, always got the impression the road surface was chewing my tyres to destruction!

I saw a recent post regarding the increasing number of personal lease cars coming onto the market and apparently the lease company only requires the tyres to be round and black !