UK International Driving Permit Change

The DVLA has announced massive new driving permit changes impacting drivers and launching within weeks. From April 1, 2024, the provider of International Driving Permits (IDPs) will be changing, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) announced.

From 1 April 2024, international driving permits (IDP) will be available exclusively at participating PayPoint stores across the UK. If you’re travelling before 1 April 2024 and need an IDP, you will need to visit a participating Post Office branch.

From 1 April 2024, IDPs will be exclusively available from participating PayPoint stores across the UK. An IDP is not usually required for the majority of popular holiday destinations abroad. But there are over 140 countries, including Turkey, Mexico, Canada and Australia, where an IDP is recommended or required if you’re planning to drive, the DVLA has warned.

There are three types of IDP and which one you need will depend on which country you’re visiting. If you’re travelling before 1 April 2024 and need an IDP, you will need to visit a participating Post Office branch. If you’re travelling on or after 1 April 2024 you will need to go to a participating PayPoint store.

An IDP is required or recommended in over 140 countries. The IDP you need depends on what country you’re visiting. Check the requirements of the country you’re planning on driving in. If you’re travelling through more than one country, you might need more than one type of IDP.

You need to have a valid Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland driving licence to get an IDP. You may also get an IDP if your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

At a participating Post Office branch bring along your full valid photo-card licence, a passport standard photograph and your valid passport as proof of identification if presenting an older paper version licence.

1 Like

Sounds more of a change than it actually is. Previous.y, I would go to a Post Office. Now, on the face of it, it might be my local corner shop.

My IDP will need renewing in April, after I’ve renewed my photo licence. If you have to use the 1949 convention, the IDP is valid for 12 months. If you need to use the 1968 convention, which I do, its valid for 3 years or whenever your photo licence expires, which ever is sooner.

For those that don’t know, a IDP isn’t an international licence. Its a transcription of your driving entitlements into a standard format. It doesn’t confer you additional driving entitlements, I’m a regular visitor to Thailand. I see British tourists on scooters, nearly all of them won’t have a licence to ride, but they think they have, because they have a IDP. Smallest bike in Thailand is 125cc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.