Underbody rust-proofing in and near South Yorkshire

Hello,

Was considering posting on an old thread but maybe better making a new one.

Is there someone near Sheffield (I can travel however 80-100 miles) that can do a very professional underbody treatment for me? There is already some surface rust present. My thinking is I want something that lasts for 2-3 years. I don’t really want something annual. I can minimize the wear by not driving in the wet and on salted roads.

Costs I think about £500 for two and a half years is not bad?

I can’t really do this myself so someone who has a lot of experience in this and has some decent feedback would be ideal. Would pay more for a better job.

Also I understand car needs to be kept on site so how car insurance would cover that I do not know.

Thanks and hope to hear back.

MX5 RF 2017 2 Litre.

2 Likes

My car was treated at the below link pre my ownership in 2019. I’ve had a look under within the last 2 years and it still looks pretty good. I did a refresh under the rear wheel arch liners but there wasn’t anything to concern me re rust, thought I’d spray (top up) what was already there.
MOT tester remarked last week how well it’s kept clean and rust free. I do keep it garaged and mostly off the road in bad weather though.

https://www.jrclassics.co.uk/

Do you think garaged helps a lot? By just keeping it outside will it make it worse by a notable degree?

I keep mine garaged, it’s a well ventilated garage and very dry. I reckon it helps prolong its life being kept from the elements, especially in winter, salty roads a no no.
If your MX-5 is being used during winter then do invest in a proper underbody treatment and still keep a check on it.

This was mine early last year, a top up of underseal where it matters, in the rear wheel arches, never touched the rear subframe it’s how it left the undersealers.

2 Likes

For now I will keep it off wet and for sure salted roads. The summer months should give me some time to think what to do. I don’t want something annual.

I have heard some approved Mazda dealers are offering some of these underbody services too.

Anybody else have anymore options that they can share?

I’ve never used them myself, but I’ve heard of other people using/recommending these people:

They’re in Spalding, Lincolnshire (86.7 miles from Sheffield).

There’s a place in Doncaster (adwick le street), who do the under body seal, and if you take the car to them for service, they’ll top it up each year.

Never used them myself though.

Thanks but reviews are not exactly great there.