Underbody Wash Attachment

Do you have practical experience with an underbody wash attachment?

There seem to be a number of places selling variants of the same two devices (one pictured below).

Interested in real reviews or alternative device options.

1 Like

You need to have a working (delivery) pressure of 1500-4000psi, would an every day domestic Karcher jet washer be enough?

1 Like

I bought one of these:

[KARCHER PRESSURE WASHER UNDERBODY ANGLED BENT SPRAY LANCE 26388170 FITS ALL | eBay](https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/250677002650?

Very powerful and works well.

Dave

1 Like

Didn’t know these were available i’d often thought about making one. Got to say the wheeled approach appeals as I imagine the kickback on the angled lance would make it a bit tiresome to get a smooth steady and thorough wash. It would have to be low profile enough to get under a lowered chassis while not being close enough to remove paint or inject past bungs or seals on the underside

1 Like

I purchased one of these to be used with my Karcher pressure washer:

2 Likes

Hmm, I avoid using my old Bosch pressure washer on a car, at 160Bar (about 2400psi) it is a bit too powerful. I’ve yet to find a long enough reach angle attachment for it as useful as the ordinary one I have on the end of the garden hose, an earlier more ergonomic version of this Hoselock thingy.

I give the car a good soaking underneath with one of the fan spray options to loosen the dried-on mud.
Then soak the top and wash it.
By now the mud and salt underneath might have loosened enough, and go over it again with the jet spray this time.
Then rainwater rinse the top and dry and wax it etc.
Then a fifteen minute final blow-dry on some nice fast local roads to finish off underneath.

Not a showroom finish by any means, but it looks OK and keeps the rust at bay

2 Likes

I got one of these, (for some reason they are on Amazon for £50 which is way more than I paid a couple of years ago. I googled other suppliers and they are around £20). Works fine…

3 Likes

Why would you use a pressure washer on a car, you should use a ordinary hose. People use a pressure washer or go to a drive in car wash where they use pressure washers then wonder why they’re forever replacing brake seals and seized calipers, wheel bearings, other rubber items on the car that have gone brittle, fading paint and peeling lacquer, when rinsing the car off you should use clean rain water to remove any residue left by cleaning products then dry off and polish. By all means use a pressure washer if you want to but I bet my maintenance bills will be lower than yours especially at mot time.

5 Likes

…as above, I only use my jet wash on the wheels, or on the bodywork when using the low pressure rotary brush attachment.

I used a jet wash (once) on our old Mk2.5 and were I had had the sill repairs done it started to take the paint off and I had to have them re-sprayed.

I have never used a jet wash on the paintwork since!!..beware!!

1 Like

I have ordered one of these and an extension, I like the fact that the pressure control is adjustable.

I have this Karcher undercar washer. It’s like an upside down patio cleaner, but better. It works well tho’ I have to put the 5 on a set of low rise ramps as it’s too close to the ground (fine for all our other cars).
I believe it’s no longer available but happy to be proved wrong.

I did see them referred to though not available.

I use the same one as Dave208 , good long reach with it , and very powerful.

i have one of these patio cleaner attachments , never used it ,

so… turn it upside down , fit some wheels …
MMmmmmm ,i wonder ??? :thinking: :thinking:

I have done that with my patio cleaner (without the wheels) !!

Back in the day, I had a Lancia Delta, only a 1.5 LX so don’t get excited! Power washed it at work and managed to remove the top coat on the rear bumper! It was the washer we used for the motorway gritters though! :rofl::rofl:
Barrie

3 Likes

Am I misreading this, or are you saying you use one of those pressure washer rotary attachments to wash your car? Don’t you find that a bit harsh, resulting in swirls in your paintwork? Interested to hear your experiences.

Cheers,
MarkP

He used it to wash underneath the car.

1 Like

It’s only £2 at the local garage and you don’t have to clear up any mud off your driveway

1 Like

That is a very abrupt statement considering you don’t know me.
As for “i bet my maintenance bills are lower than yours” consider this, i have just taken early retirement after 48 years as a mobile field service engineer (forklift trucks) every thing from removing, stripping and rebuilding engines, transmissions, differentials, steer axles, hydraulics, brakes, masts and everything in between on customers premises (usually car parks and fields) in every type of weather God could throw at me, sometimes up to 300 miles away from home and not coming home for weeks at a time (sleeping in my van).
The ONLY time in the last 40 odd years my cars have been in a garage is at MOT time!
Dave.

6 Likes