Underside Condition

Hey all.

Thinking of getting my underside waxed, my '07 NC not anywhere else. But I’d be interested in hearing about what people think of the condition of the underside currently and if it looks expected for a car of it’s age and mileage (just got to 90k)? Considering https://themx5restorer.co.uk/ for the work.

These photos are from its service a couple of years ago.

Cheers
Rob

1 Like

Very definitely looks like it certainly need some attention because it’s not going to get better is it ?

3 Likes

Heh yeah. Just wondering if it would need more than clean, rust proof and wax seal. Or a more in-depth treatment from the looks of the photo’s. I’m not familiar with the condition of other peoples undersides hence asking :slight_smile:

1 Like

If that’s a couple of years ago…I’d wager it’s worse now and very possibly not worth doing now unless you’re prepared to spend decent £££ on it. Obviously the earlier the better.

2 Likes

themx5restorer offer a free inspection if you are within striking distance…

1 Like

I would get replacement subframe braces. While the outside can be wirebrushed and painted up, these are relatively thin pressings. Replacement parts (out of stock currently at MX5parts) seem to be relatively inexpensive @£50-55.

1 Like

I’ve sent them the photo’s as they’re not local. Will see what they say :grimacing:

Cool thanks I’ll keep that in mind. I’m in no doubt it will never look as good as above or if Car SOS got their hands on it, but I’ll see what can be done. I’ve only had it 3 years, but hope to keep it going for a good few years yet.

Doesn’t look too bad to me. Seen many worse. Those subframe braces look intact, often they are so rotten you can push your finger through them.

Good time to get it sorted before it goes too far.

4 Likes

All good advice so far. Looks better than my 2007 NC! Just make sure all the camber bolts are adjustable and the bushes are ok before you do any undersealing!

2 Likes

You say:-
“I’d be interested in hearing about what people think of the condition of the underside CURRENTLY”

But then you say:-
“These photos are from its service a COUPLE OF YEARS AGO”

So tell me, how can anyone give an opinion on the current condition of anything based on information that is two years out of date?

Here’s my opinion based on your photos and the fact there will have been further deterioration over the intervening years. There will be a need for a good deal of time and effort (and maybe money) spent on preparation to ensure that the surfaces, cavities and fittings are a clean as possible before any protective wax or other product is applied. If the preparatory work is skimped then all that happens is that the inevitable corrosion is hidden from view and you won’t realise it’s there until something breaks/rots. Hope this is useful. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Countryboy that’s really helpful. I will see what the guys at mx5restorer say and hopefully, it won’t be too much. Love the car so much I want to keep it running for as long as possible.

1 Like

Hi preparation is the key. You can pay someone to clean and spray it but if they spend the time doing the prep properly it will be expensive.
Why not do it yourself? I have just done mine and it took a bit of time on ramps but I am happy to have got to everything.
I dropped off the rear brace bars and all four transmission tunnel covers, (2 braces, 2 covers) and did them off the car. Used a paint scraper to remove any flaking underseal as the rust tracks underneath then wire brushed and painted with rust encapsulator and chassis in one from buzz weld. (Impressed with chassis in one). Then the cavaties and final coat are up to you. I used lanoguard as mine is summer only use and I wanted to preserve the finish. Maybe something heavier if you use in winter. Everyone has their preference.
It was very therapeutic :grin::grin:

1 Like

Thanks Binty

Always impressed by people who have the time and can do it themselves :smiley:. Cleaning up and prepping myself would be good, but currently, I only have street parking and am not in a position to put the car up on ramps :frowning: Finding the time would be another issue too. One day I’ll have off-street parking or even a garage :astonished: and the time to take on projects like this. In the meantime, it’s looking like a long drive to Sussex and £££.

Hi I( have 1 2016 MX5, is there anywhere in essex people would recommend to get mine inspected and protected?
Cheers

Might be worth getting in touch with:-
PMW Ltd (Peter Mould Workshops)
Unit 7
Atholl Road
Duke’s Park Industrial Estate
CHELMSFORD CM2 6TB
Phone: 01245 496739
They did my ND in 2019 just after I’d bought it. They did a good job. I’ve since sold the car so I can’t give you any photos.
They might not be interested but it’s worth giving them a call.
They have a website, just google PMJ chelmsford

PMW did my NC last year. Seemed a good job.

1 Like

Had full Dinatrol protection done just after purchase on a 2018 plate, the sooner it’s done the better.

1 Like

I have just picked up my car (25th anniversary) from the MX5 restorers. They were recommended to me as the best people for the job. Of course I have no idea whether they did a good job or not but their reputation is good and I have full confidence. They had the car for 3 days so they have certainly been thorough, and were helpful and professional. Go see them for advice.

1 Like