Underside treatment cost?

Hi all,

I’m looking to get the underside of the mx5 treated - mainly just to slow down the inevitable. It’s in good nick, for 19 years old anyways - do I’m expecting it would be a combo of wire brush, rust inhibitor and paint?

Any ideas what I should be looking for and a cost. In context, the car is not worth much so the cheaper end of the work expectation as opposed to a restoration level job is preferred.

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk2.5
  2. I’m based near: Durham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Underside treatment

Are you willing to do it yourself ?

Axle stands on ya back with powered wire brush and possibly 4" flapper disc.

Company called ‘Buzzweld’ sell rust inhibitors etc etc in aerosol cans.

Went down this route with my NC

Used rust inhibitor / w.a.r / and then Motip anti gravel . First two are manufactured by Buzzweld.

£15 per tin, cost around £100 all in and a couple of weekends under the car.

Rust inhibitor, 3 coats… goes on a treat. Used 3/4 tin per corner

1 Like

Any where from £180-£500.

Depends on the company doing it and how thoroughly they will do the job.
Some won’t bother to remove arch liners or undertrays etc

I’m not near Durham but my quote was £410.
Wire brush treatment.
Removal all any old underseal.
Treatment of rust.
Removing the arch liners, undertray etc (MK3).
Rubberised underseal application.
Sealant applied to archers to prevent water sitting at the very edges.
Cavity wax injection.

I’m happy to pay a professional, it can be a messy job and getting the MX jacked up at home for days on end isn’t applicable for my living situation.

Hello! I just got myself an NC1 over the Easter holiday weekend and have set aside some money to get the underseal done. Could you tell me where the garage you got the quotation from is based?
Cheers

It’s in Crayford post code DA1 4AU.

Nice, looks like a Copper red :+1:

Yes it is! :grin: And coming from a lumpy E class, it feels like a completely different beast…

Thank you, I came across another one of your messages on a different post with all the details. I’m based in the West Midlands, but visit family in London often so most likely I’ll go with these guys.

They were recommend to me by another forum member.
I did go to other places but none of them really talked about removing arch liners and adding cavity waxes. The guy had a few old cars titled and was working underneath them, had a few nobles, old VW beetles, stuff that’s worth quite a bit more than my MX5.

He will probably advise you to go down there when its warmer, as the wet weather means the car has to dry out underneath etc basically cheaper and quicker to do it when it’s not been raining is we have some sunshine. Not sure if 2021 is applicable in that regards :smiley:

Yes, I know what you mean. I haven’t personally spoken to any garage yet and wanted to do my background research before, and these were some of the shops that were mentioned in the forums,

[1] Pure Car Management in Cheltenham
[2] The MX5 Restorer in Pevensey, East Sussex
[3] Doctor MX5 in Southampton
[4] MX5 Works in Leighton Buzzard
[5] JR Classics Ltd in Doncaster

All of their prices ranged from £300 to £462, and mentioned mostly similar levels of work, however, logistics wise none of them really work out well for me.

Yep, plan is to speak to B J Miles and try to get a date in May/June time and then hopefully travel up and down the country a bit, with the roof down ofc :grin:

Hi about to use Pure car management in cheltenham on monday (after club member recomendation) will report back nxt week

1 Like

Anyone know anyone does a good underseal in Shropshire please?

Hi can you give me more details about the place in Crayford. Am in Rochester and would like to have my nc done. Were you happy with their work.

I was not 100% happy with their customer service or the job they did, it’s quite messy with some spatters of underseal on the rear arches, could have been neater for sure.

This was during a harsher time in the pandemic so maybe they were understaffed but it took them 3 weeks!! I kept having to call them to see what was happening with my car. They have very good reviews and will take the time to chat to you when you go there, just make sure you tell them straight, I need the car back in X amount of time.

For me I would try someone else next time but they are still a back up for me as they do genuinely seem decent.

Stuff like this, why is the wishbone covered in underseal when it’s alloy.

Or why not remove these struts? If they are rusting this side then the other side is probably rusting as well.

MX5US (23)

I asked for the arch lips to be undersealed, hopefully to stop stone strikes chipping the paint which would lead to rust spots. Might be worth looking in to just make sure they do a better job with the masking or you’ll end up with underseal where you don’t want it.

MX5US (30)

They took loads of pics, which is useful but they are only small resolution sadly.

Best bet is find someone within a short bus trip away so if it all go quite you can turn up. They were a good 1 hour away from my house but like said, when I spoke to them they seemed genuinely cool people.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

Will try and find somewhere closer was looking at the mx5 restorers but they are a 3hour train ride away.

Be very careful who you trust with is process…

The cost all depend on the condition of the roadster and how much work will be involved to get her right again, because it is a horrible job to do but very satisfying once its all complete.
What i will say is be very careful who you trust your pride and joy to for this process, I have had to deal with a lot of crappy flash overs from Co’s that so called specialize in this for a large wedge of cash from you.
If you agree to a Co out there to do it , then you want detailed pics of the whole process from start to finish, be on your toes if you get nothing or the say they are the best of the best and no need for pics , you can trust us, “trust no one” its your roadster and your cash.
This can be done by any one by following the correct process and products, but what none of these Co’s will honestly tell you when snatching your cash from your hands is that , its not a cure to tin worm, it is a process on control and managing it, none of these Co’s will guarantee there under proofing simply because its open to everything under there and you will get it back in some way !00% ,but it just needs to be checked every 12 months or so, so if there is a patch or area for what ever reason the seal as broken , then you just need to deal with that area" managing it", which is easier to stay on top of now the hard work is done, but do not forget those post sections for treatment also and have a nosey inside before wasting time and product.
Check those front rails, i recommend having the roadster inspected firsts and assessed, most will not do this including some of these Co’s out there as its just about taking your cash and driving away thinking you have done the correct thing and invested by parting with a good number of cash, I have turned many away because they needed a lot deeper work before attacking, no point in wasting time and money. .
Not removing guards, bumpers,etc etc to apply over them and in a lot of cases straight over rust is common place from my dealings with the aftermath of a load of black stuff fired underneath over everything and not protecting them anyway correctly, because how would you know, its just all shiny and black and you trusted them and you can see by kneeling down for a quick peek, its all covered and its what you expect to see,
As said this is a process that anyone can do with the correct tools and products that are not as dear as you may think, its mainly down to your time and guidance to give the confidence to do it, if you have a garage or drive way , than you have the beginnings to crack on .
Photograph the whole process from beginning to end as a " proof" its been done correct for any future sale.
If you need any help doing this yourself , please shout, please don’t get ripped off.
This is “NOT” a tap for work, i have enough, i don’t need it, but if i can help and direct owners to spend correct for less and right , I will …
Undersealing/and cavity protection.....and being careful who you use - Mazda-Menders

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7730

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6868
M-m

2 Likes