Update on my Eunos Roadster

Hello Again all

I got my Eunos Roadster in September, and then joined this forum which has been invaluable and addictive.

I posted in November, where I listed the work I had done, was doing, and was thinking of doing.  First here’s the original post: (Also at http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/22836.aspx)

Got my Eunos Roadster mid-September 2010. Has 168000km (105000 miles) on the clock.  Everything works, even the Air-Con.  Has had lots of bits added in the past, I think the suspension may have been lowered too.  Driving the first week was a bit clunky, but found the battery wasn’t fitted down so this had been bouncing around.  Fitted a fixing kit, but had to modify it and drill a small hole on the rear battery stay to get it to fit.  No clunks now!

Changed the engine oil and filter (10/40 Semi-Synth, and Fram PH5317 filter), drained and replaced the coolant, and have changed the automatic transmission fluid (wasn’t planning on doing this straight away but one of ATF cooler hoses to the bottom of the radiator gave way (looked as if had been rubbing against a bolt for years) so lost all the ATF and lost drive!  Wasn’t able to get a replacement hose (although Autolink were very helpful and said they could get hold of one but may take a while) but managed to shorten the original hose and replaced with Dextron II.

Cleaned the vinyl roof with wide angle jet wash.  Brought it up much cleaner but still a few small black marks I can’t get rid of.  Not sure what to do with these.

T-cut the paintwork – brought it back to nice shiny black.  Also T-cut the rear vinyl screen, as I couldn’t see through it. Much clearer now.

Replaced one of the eyeball vents as it kept dropping all the time.

Previous Owner would seem to have punched a hole and removed the bung in the driver’s side floor as was letting in a bit of water.  Experiment with hosepipe showed water coming through the door.  Took the door card off and resealed the plastic liner with non-setting mastic.  Now watertight!

Fitted the Flash-to-pass diode (Ebay £2).  Love this!

Fitted a lights-on warning buzzer (Ebay £3) Definitely worthwhile.

Stuff to do

·         Passenger side electric window doesn’t go all the way down.  Going to try some silicone spray on the runners.

·         Centre console has old (but now fully working, had to do some rewiring) Sony X-Plod stereo with active black display but no bezel around it. Can’t find one of these!  1Din cubby box underneath leaves about 1 inch gap.  Had to cut a piece of wooden skirting and ‘jack-up’ with plastic wedges to hold everything in place.  Not ideal.  Would like to get either a 1.5Din cubby box or clock unit to make this look better.

·         Lovely Nardi Wooden Steering Wheel has lost some of the lacquer, which is starting to splinter.  I might take this off over the winter and sand it down and re-varnish although reading other posts can see this might need up to 30 coasts of super yacht varnish so would need to be off for a month or more.  Likely to be a fiddly job!

·         Both Door speakers have perished - will be replacing with a pair of new 300watt speakers I’ve ordered on Ebay (£20).

·         Need to identify the wheels – no centre caps, would like to get some for these.  Could also do with a proper spare so if anyone has one.

·         Driver’s door has quite a few dings.  I’ve been given a replacement black door (Thanks Richard) but need to fit it.

·         Small dent in the rear wing looks like it could be pulled out.

·         Nose cone has probably been resprayed in the past.  There are a few white crease marks – maybe I should get this filled and resprayed?

·         Windscreen Washer Jet (Driver’s) in bonnet has obviously been replaced (botched) at some point, not adjustable (normal pin adjusters not there) so it squirts right over the roof. Have to use in tiny squirts to get any on the screen.

·         Need to change all the locks as they all have different keys.  Again, Thanks Richard who is getting a set for me.

·         Front Sidelight bulbs very dim (checked the earths) Think I’ll just replace the bulbs.

·         Eunos Badge has been put on wrong way (so it looks like an ‘L’ instead of a ‘V’).  Someone did ask if it was a Lotus!  Made me laugh so I haven’t changed this yet.

·         Top of dash has a few scratches, looks like was cleaned a bit too harshly in the past, so some of the tan is showing through the black.  Not sure what to use on this.

·         Might fit a Bluetooth kit.

Since then, I’ve been doing a few bits.  So far I’ve:

• Replaced the original Nardi steering wheel which was badly chipped with one that looks like new
  • Sorted out the electric windows by greasing the runners
  • Replaced the stereo and fitted a 1.5Din Cubby Box - looks much better
  • Fitted new front speakers
  • Fitted LED Sidelight bulbs to the front
  • Fitted LED bulbs to the interior puddle lights
  • Replaced the rear bumper with the cut-in foglight and re-wired the foglight to one of the reversing light holders
  • Replaced the front and rear side reflectors with white bulb holders and wired these to the sidelights
Then, yesterday, I de-tangoed the front lights and fitted chrome bulbs.  I read many versions of how to do this on this and other fora, but decided eventually not to put them in the oven (I learn't many years ago not to bring the car into the kitchen.  For some unknown reason back then, the wife was adamant that I was not to put my wheel trims in the dishwasher), so boiled the kettle and poured it into a mop bucket and dipped the lenses of the lights into the water for about a minute which was enough to soften the mastic so i could start to get the units open.  A few more dips were needed but they came off eventually.  I just refilled the kettle for the second one and started over again.  I ran a bead of clear silicone around the units before refitting.

Anyway, here’s some pics:

… now we just need some good weather !

2 Likes

Looking Good - I definately have a soft spot for a gleaming Mk1.

Very nice…well done Thumbs up

Hi there sounds like you’ve been busy with your mk1!

Our one had the rear fog light box hanging down underneath and so I looked into utilising the rear right reverse light. So much better!!!
It doesn’t need 2 revers lights anyway there’s much bigger cars out there with only the one reverse light.
I put in a clear LED bulb that shines red but it’s not that strong and has since faded a bit anyway. I’ll just have to get a proper red bulb or some suitable red paint for the many many bulbs I’ve already got as the paint on bought bulbs don’t seem to last that long anyway!

Hopefully the OP might get back to you if he wakes up.